WW II Veteran with changed birthdate

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by Howard, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Howard

Howard Newbie

Hi,

Your website is wonderful. Thank you so much for what you've done here. I had a bunch of my questions answered by just searching through other posts.

My father is a WWII veteran, 96 years old and in a Memory Care Facility. He has about $65,000 left in assets and his only income is $1200 / month in social security, with Memory Care cost of $4600 / month.

One problem that I'm concerned about is that my father found out years after he served that his actual birthdate was incorrect by about a year (strange, I know, but had something to do with confusion when he immigrated at about 7 years old). He now uses his correct birthdate on all his forms including social security. As far as I am aware, he has never had a claim with the Department of Veteran's Affairs.

So I'm not sure whether to put the correct birthdate on the form or the incorrect one which is on his discharge papers. Any thoughts? And if I put the correct one should I mail a page of explanation along with the application?

Thank you,
    Howard

2. Howard

Howard Newbie

Hi,

I'm going to go ahead and use the birthdate which he uses now which is the correct one. Unfortunately I can't find much documentation proving the change, so it may cause confusion but not much I can do about that. If anyone has any input on what kind of proof I should put besides a letter of explanation please let me know.

I'm trying to find the right office in the Austin, TX area to have them make a certified copy of the very old discharge papers he has. I found several different offices that have the word "veteran" in the area but not sure which is the right one. Anyone know?

Thank you,
    Howard

3. Howard

Howard Newbie

I was able to find an office here:
    100 E 1st St, Austin, TX 78701

They were extremely helpful there. A veteran sat with me for a half hour and tried to make sure everything was good with my father's application.