widow benefits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jks11, Feb 22, 2013.

  1. jks11

    jks11 Newbie

    My Dad has been collecting aid an attendance for the past several months and has sadly passed away. My mom will continue to need assistance at home, with the hope that after she heals a bit we will search for an Assisted Living facility. She will continue with the same caretakers we had in place for my Dad until that time.

    What do I need to do to notify the VA of this change? and any suggestions to be sure that I have all the necessary information submitted to avoid the nightmare I went through for over a year to finally get my
    Dad approved.

    Thanks so much for all that you do!
    Jody Smith
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member


    Our condolences over the loss of your Dad.

    I so wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't. You will need to complete the VA form 21-534 for surviving spouse and go through this process all over again for your Mom.

    We have suggested many times to the VA that a simple one-page form would lessen the burden on the family and widow when this situation arises, but have failed to get anywhere with the suggestion.

    You should call the VA and let them know of your Dad's passing, and be aware they will stop the pension until your Mom's application is approved and at the lower rate for surviving spouse.

    Again, we are sorry for this difficult time for you and your family, and wish we had an easier answer for you.

Share This Page