Who can provide aid in home?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pam Kay, Jan 7, 2011.

  1. Pam Kay

    Pam Kay Newbie

    We are currently using an aid for my mom who we are paying privately-- she is not an employee of an agency. Also my sister is living full time in the home even though her family/job is in another state. This is all aid for my mom, my Dad is still living but having memory problems. My mother is housebound. Does any of this care qualify against my parent's income? Any thoughts? Thank you! This is a great forum.
  2. AngelaManz

    AngelaManz Jr. Member

    If the veteran is rated as needing the aid and attendance of another person, then payments for care provided by an unlicensed caregiver will reduce countable income. If the veteran is rated for A&A and his spouse is rated for A&A as well, then payments for her care can lower countable income too.

    Dad could be able to get an A&A rating if his memory loss requires him to be in a protective environment to keep him safe.

    If the veteran does not get an A&A rating, then he can still request the base pension amount, although the monthly maximum rate is lower.
  3. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Dad can also file as a veteran with a sick spouse if her medical expenses deplete their combined monthly income. If that is the case, then he would be eligible for $1266 a month.

Share This Page