We filed for the death pension for Mom in august 2012 and were just notified that the VA denied it. Two reasons were given: Dad's death was not in service for the indemnity claim (which we were not making) and Mom's income exceeded the income limit. She is now in an assisted living facility and would quality for benefits. However, we are in the process of getting her house ready for sale. Should we appeal the decision now and submit the doctor's form for A&A or wait to reapply after her assets are down to $80,000? If it takes a few months to sell the house, would she get A&A for that time, but then when the house is settled, A&A would stop. Gaining the A&A for the months before the house sells seems to make the case to apply now. What would you advise? Thanks.