What to do when applicant passes away during applicantion process

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by Patty, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Patty

Patty Newbie

Hi All,
    I also help people get their A&A benefits (no charge) and after reading the newsletter this month, I wanted to come here and share something that has worked 100% for the folks I help whose loved one pass away during the benefit process. You need to fill in 21-601 with the expenses from the last illness showing those medical expenses paid from the 1st of the month after you originally filed until the date of death. I have done this for at least 6 people and all of them received the full A&A from the first of the month after the filing until the month before passing. You must include a statement showing what was PAID to any Home Care Agency or Assisted Living (which they should be able to print out for you) UNPAID expenses will not be considered.
    Many people think the last illness is that last hospital stay, which is often zero - put that in and the VA "correctly" zero's out the claim.
    All the best,
    Patty

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Patty,

Thank you for sharing your insights and knowledge with our forum members. I do want to add to this for clarification on the issue of who paid the charges. It has to be applied for by the individual who used their personal funds (other than the vet/widow) to cover the cost.

3. Patty

Patty Newbie

Hi Debbie,
    That has not been my experience. In one case we had to prove that the son was the beneficiary of the estate of the surviving spouse, but he got the funds - it did take 8 months after the death of his mother and a letter to his congressman. Maybe we were just lucky?