We applied for Aid and Attendance and were turned down

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by Becky, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Becky

Becky Newbie

I am trying to help a couple who live at home to get their Aid and Attendance. I sent in the application and just received a letter that they make too much money. Their income is $29,387 which is $4000 more than allowed. They have no in home care expenses to subtract because they cannot afford it. But, they are in desperate need of assistance and need the money from VA to help. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get them qualified?
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

They have to be paying for care to bring the "countable income" down to show a financial need for the pension. The pension is income means tested and is intended to offset the costs of care. They are not paying for care, so it creates a challenge.

If they started paying for services to bring that income down below the threshold to qualify, then they could up the amount of care once approved.

If they can do that, then you would submit VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to show the change in their expenses, and the VA would re-calculate.

Thank you for trying to help them out.