Waiting for benefit award

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by magrey, Nov 24, 2013.

1. magrey

magrey Newbie

My 92 year old father applied in May 2013 for an aid and attendance benefit for himself and his spouse of 65+ years. They are living in an Assisted Living community and their savings is quickly being depleted. I have received 3 letters stating that his application is being processed. I was wondering if there is a need to update their net worth information. What is the usual time frame before benefits are awarded?
    Thanks for your help and any information you can provide.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Average processing time can be anywhere from 7-12 months. Much depends on which Pension Maintenance Center you are dealing with. You are only 6 months into this, so not really at a point to ask their Senator to make an inquiry.

When you submitted the application, did you request "expedited" processing due to his advanced age?

3. magrey

magrey Newbie

Yes we did ask for the process to be expedited because of age.

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

If you hit the 8 month mark with no decision being made, Contact their Senator and ask them to make an inquiry as to the status of the application. Stress his age and if a financial hardship is being incurred, you need to stress that as well.