Totally Frustrated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by First Lady, Jan 16, 2009.

1. First Lady

First Lady Newbie

My stepfather served in WWII and Korean Conflict. He passed away in 1978. My mother now suffers from dementia, TIAs, etc. She is in an Assisted Living facility. I applied for Aid and Attendance. She was denied because they did not look at the last letter from the doctor indicating she had to be in an assisted living facility at this time.

I spoke with an agent and he said that in order to apply for Aid and Attendance you must have been receiving a VA pension. He also said that they would only provide Aid and Attendance if she was homebound, not if she was living in an assisted living facility.

Also, they excluded over $5,000 of unreimbursed medical expenses that I submitted and stated that I could appeal and submit her expense from June 2008 to June 2009 (June 08 was when I submitted my initial request).

This is so confusing. Is any of this information correct?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

First Lady,

We can appreciate your frustrations all too well! ALL the information you have been given is indeed INCORRECT across the board.

There are 3- levels of this pension. Basic, Housebound AND Aid & Attendance. By your post it is obvious that you spoke with someone who truly has no knowledge of this benefit.

You need to file and use this forum for the guideposts for doing so.