Thrilled but confused

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfogarty, Apr 16, 2013.

1. jfogarty

jfogarty Newbie

We applied for A&A for my dad in August 2012. I am my parents' POA so I check on their accounts regularly. I just logged in to their account, and deposited today, is the back pay lump sum from August! Obviously I'm thrilled but, concerned as dad has alzheimers and I'm sure will be found incompetent. For now, we are not going to touch the money just in case the va wants it back. I'm hoping a letter will come soon.
    And for those who are curious, it seems as if dad was approved for the $2,055 monthly amount. He and mom are still married. While she does not require assistance, I believe they are counting her as a dependent.

2. newpenny

newpenny Jr. Member

It is not uncommon to get the money before the letter in the mail. You should get the letter this week, Check the address the letter it is suppose to go to.
    I believe but am not sure, if the letter that comes states your father is incompetent, and if you do not contest it, they will keep sending the money while appointing a Fiduciary. Debbie will have to comment on this or any one else that knows.

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Yes, they will continue to send the monthly award, but will withhold all the back pay until the fiduciary process has been completed.

A bit of a concern here that they awarded for vet and spouse and Mom does not require care at this time. If that is the case, then the application should have been made for just the vet, which would have made the award $1732.00. If there was no Dr's evaluation on Mom and no medical/care expenses shown for her not sure how they awarded the higher amount.

4. jfogarty

jfogarty Newbie

Dad is the only one who applied. Our local VA officer told us that the amount is based on a married vet with one dependent (mom), because they are married and the cost if dad's care alone exceeds their total monthly income. I will review the letter with him when it does get here to make sure there is no confusion. Oh, and it's 2054, not 2055 as I originally typed.

5. newpenny

newpenny Jr. Member

I just checked the VA web site and it said and a vet who was entitled to A&A and who was married , the max he could get is $24684. divided by 12 is $2054

6. jfogarty

jfogarty Newbie

Thanks Newpenny! I'll feel better once I get my hands on the letter. Bottom line, we had a successful application in 8 1/2 months! Yay!

7. newpenny

newpenny Jr. Member

Did you local VA officer help you with the application?

8. jfogarty

jfogarty Newbie

He did, but not until recently. I tackled it on my own. When the VA started requesting documents I had already sent, I went to him for help. I wish I would have talked to him sooner. I know a lot of people aren't lucky enough to have an educated VA officer nearby.

9. newpenny

newpenny Jr. Member

we did have a good one here ,but he moved up to the Maine office for the state. I still call him if I need something.