Quick Questions before sending in paperwork

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krosen, Mar 30, 2008.

1. krosen

krosen Newbie

Thanks for answering my earlier questions. My folks moved into assisted living and have been adjusting. So far so good :)

My questions:

1. I do not need to fill out Part B for my father but should I submit it with N/A or None as needed?

2. Where should I send the paperwork? They are living in southern Illinois and I live in Maryland. I don't want to delay the process.

3. I am including a VA Form 21-22a as a part of the paperwork. Should I include a copy of the Durable Power of Attorney and/or the Durable Power of Attorney Illinois Statutory Short Form Power of Attorney for Health Care?

Thank you again for all the support you provide!

Karen Rosen

2. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

My questions:

1. I do not need to fill out Part B for my father but should I submit it with N/A or None as needed?

We recommend not including Part B when filing for pension with ‘Aid & Attendance’. Part B is for a service-connected compensation claim. If you submit it and answer any of the questions, the VA will presume your Father is applying for that benefit and this will cause severe delays in the processing of the pension claim.

2. Where should I send the paperwork? They are living in southern Illinois and I live in Maryland. I don't want to delay the process.

The paperwork must go to the VA Regional Office in the State where the veteran/widow is residing.

3. I am including a VA Form 21-22a as a part of the paperwork. Should I include a copy of the Durable Power of Attorney and/or the Durable Power of Attorney Illinois Statutory Short Form Power of Attorney for Health Care?

Submitting a copy of the Durable Power of Attorney and/or the Durable Power of Attorney Illinois Statutory Short Form Power of Attorney for Health Care could be helpful if the VA determines that your Father is in need of a fiduciary. The VA does not recognize these types of court appointed POAs but they do consider them with their decisions in appointing a fiduciary.

Thank you again for all the support you provide!

We are glad that this site has been a help to many, many individuals. This has been Debbie’s goal from the beginning. Debbie deserves all of the credit. She has a ‘heart of gold’ and a burning desire to help veterans/widows. Thank you Debbie!

The Veteran Advocate

3. SCD

SCD Newbie

Just a note, I sent in my paperwork (same senerio) to my father's (veteran) regional office, which was San Diego 6 weeks ago. I have called (some will answer my questions regarding status, some will not (cant talk to you etc..) and have found that if I call back on different days I eventially get someone to talk to me ........ also sent in 21-22a. Just to find out they do have the claim (yeah) but sent it to the Reno regional office. They said "it goes to the regional office of the mailing address", which is mine. Father with dementia, I have DPA for him. Of course not finding this consistent with what I had been told to do (and believe is the correct answer) I have called back a couple more times and been told the same. Still haven't received a letter from them, was told it took 2-5 weeks which was up last week. Also was told....by one person...that they still wouldn't talk to me even with the 21-22a....that it didn't apply to next-of-kin! I am so totally annoyed with this whole organization and if I didn't need their help with my father I certainly would file complaints. This is just one more issue dealing with them....

4. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

Welcome to the club. This is reason the forum and this website was established. People cannot get a straight answer from the VA and/or the same answer twice in a row. I do not want to add more concerns to you but I do not like the answers that you were given. First, the claim should be processed at the Regional Office where the veteran is residing. IF the VA determines that the veteran needs a fiduciary, they will normally send out a ‘field rep’ to interview the veteran to determine if he/she is incapable of handling their own affairs. I would think this could slow the processing down if they have to transfer the file to another State to have this done.

That was a pretty stupid statement about the 21-22a form does not apply to next-of-kin. Who else do they think is going to be doing it. If it was a veteran’s service organization or an attorney, they would use a VA form 21-22. This is a fine example where the VA employees do not know their job. We know this is very annoying but please do not give in to them and drop the claim. They would like to see that happen.

After you get your Father’s claim completed you will be able to help others through this process. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We will do what we can to help you through this processing.

The Veteran Advocate