Questions re application process

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CherylCh, May 16, 2016.

  1. CherylCh

    CherylCh Newbie


    My sisters and I recently moved our mother, the widow of a WWII Navy veteran, to the memory care unit of an assisted living facility. My job is to prepare and submit the A&A application. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I work through this, but right now I have two:

    1. For purposes of the "Nursing Home Status Statement," is an assisted living facility considered a nursing home, or should I be using a different form?

    2. I have my father's original discharge certificate from the Navy. Can I use a photocopy of that with the application? I've already requested, via the electronic process, a copy of his service record, but I have no idea how long that will take.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Hello CherylCh,

    Yes, you can use the Nursing Home Status Statement form for an assisted living facility. Simply cross out instances of "nursing home" on the form and write "assisted living facility" or "ALF" for short over the top.

    It must be a certified copy of his discharge papers, so yes, a photocopy will work but you need to have it signed by a notary to make it certified. You can usually find a notary at a bank to do this for you.

    Good luck as you continue through this application process! Feel free to come back with any and all questions.

Share This Page