Question on caring for mother

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phoebe, Jan 3, 2009.

  1. Phoebe

    Phoebe Newbie

    My dad was in WW 2 and passed away 13 years ago. Mother gets his GE pension and SS Disability, she will be 65 in Feb. I have taken care of her for the last 10 years to keep her out of a nursing home. I also have POA and have had for 5 years. She has Parkinsons and is bi polar. She cannot dose her meds, cook, clean, basic everyday living stuff. Since she lives with me, Can I apply for A&A or does she have to be in a nursing home or assisted living facility? I dont see that situation addressed anywhere. Also, my dad was discharged prior to the seperation papers coming into use (end of WW2) what can I do? He was in the Navy. Thanks!

  2. Patty

    Patty Newbie

    Hello Phoebe,
    You can apply for A&A and deduct the care you are providing for your mother if she pays you for the care. You would need to make sure she pays you and you would need to keep a monthly calendar sheet where you check off the days you provided care and leave a space where 1x per month you discuss her care with a licensed health care professional - her doctor or social worker would do. I believe these payments are tax empmt but you'd have to look into that. Therefore, if she pays for rent - it may be better to pay for care. Unless your father was injured in the service, DIC is not an option.

    Good Luck,
    Let us know how it goes!

Share This Page