Propose Rule A073

Discussion in 'Countable Income' started by Helen J, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Helen J

Helen J Newbie

Two years ago my sister gave her daughters $14,000. Since then her health has deteriorated greatly and she has had to go to a nursing home. She qualifies in all ways for the A&A benefit, except possibly for the monetary gifts. I cannot find on this forum or on the web whether the VA has adopted the proposed rule A073. Do we have a chance if we send in the application? Or will it be automatically disqualified? Thank everyone for the shared information. And especially thanks to Debbie providing the leadership and assistance here.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

They have not implemented that ruling yet, so as it stands right now, it is not in affect.

You can make the application, and see if she is awarded, but to keep in mind that somewhere down the road it could come back as an issue if the VA does move forward with implementing.

I would not include this gifting in the application itself. Should it need to be addressed at some time in the future. you could apply for debt forgiveness. We can deal with that should it become a problem.