My dads story - Daytona Beach Florida Applied September 19th

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by takkaebby2003, Apr 23, 2012.

1. takkaebby2003

takkaebby2003 Newbie

Hi, I was hoping to get some experience and feedback. My dad is 100% service -connected. I have been his primary caregiver, but now live in Jacksonville. We applied on September 19th and on March 19 received a letter stating that "we apologize for the delay, we are still processing your claim for A&A" I called and found out that as of April 2nd his claim is in the decision phase which could take up to 60 more days and then it moves to the "award" phase which will take up to 7 days. My dad will be 70 on May 13th. I am going broke paying for his caregiver who I can only pay for 20 hours per week. My 17 year old son lives with my dad and does a lot to help. My dad gets all his benefits from the VA and SS. If he receives the max allowed for a a disabled 100% service connecte ???d veteran and spouse (2928) and SSI (692), how much can we reasonable expect? Should I wait until he turns 70 to file for priority? Any guidance is greatly appreciated or experience with the St. Pete office in Florida. Also, I need to file the form for the permission for 3rd party so I can call without having to have my dad on the phone. Can this be faxed? If I have to mail it out today, how long will it take to get processed?

Thanks so much! This website is amazing! I am so glad I found it, it has given me some hope. I'm getting anxious waiting for a decision.

Ebony

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

If your Dad is 100% service connect disbled meaning that his need for assistance is due to his 100% service connetion, the only thing you would have needed to do was submit a VA form 21-4138 Statment in Support of Claim saying that he now requires the assistance of another for his day to day living, and the Physician's Statement. In this case he would be eligible for an approximate $800.00 additional a month. There is no financial means test for this application due to the 100% rating, but again his need for assistance needs to be attached to his service connected disabilities.

This should not have been an 8 month process unless you filed the entire claim and in that case someone in the VA should have seen his rating and pushed it through.

If I were you , I'd check to see if you did an entire application or submittled as outlined above. Either way, you need to be on the phone with someone and if you can't get an answer, get his state Senator to make a congressional inquiry on his behalf.

You should just mail the 21-0845 Return Receipt, and make sure you mail it to the right pension center that is handling his application.

3. takkaebby2003

takkaebby2003 Newbie

Thanks so much for all your help! I emailed Congressman Mica this morning after finding this web site and just spoke with his assistant. She was wonderful and stated that she is faxing a release and they will do a congressional inquiry. Since my dad will turn 70 in a few weeks, it seems like a moot point to try to get his claim expedited. I have a strange feeling that his claim will be completed right before his birthday. I am getting ready to call them now. Will keep you posted. Thank you so much! I felt like I was floundering in the dark just waiting and waiting and not having any answers.

Ebony

4. vetadmin

Glad you called, and glad that you have found the site and forums helpful.

Again, this really has nothing to do with your Dad's age. The 100% should have been a very simple addition to his compensation.

Please do keep us posted as to how the inquiry turns out for you.

5. takkaebby2003

takkaebby2003 Newbie

??? I spoke with the VA today after trying to call Monday, they just called me back today. The rep stated that my dad's claim is till in review and could take up to 70 days (before it was 60 days). I asked if there was special processing for Vets who are 70 years old and he told me that unless they had a "serious or chronic health condition" or was in a financial hardship, expedited processing could apply. I asked again if he was sure that there was no special or expedited processing for Vets 70 and older. He said "yea, cause I asked someone about that today" He sounded like he was 20 years old. I asked if they received the congressional inquiry by Con. John Mica, he placed me on hold came by all of 5 seconds later and said "uh, no we haven't received that yet. My dads caretaker called me 15 minutes later and said there was a letter from Mica's office thanks us for giving him the opportunity to serve and if I needed him for anything else, don't hesitate to call. I know the inquiry was placed on Monday, can you explain a little more how the inquiry process works and what exactly does a "congressional inquiry entail?". As always, your help is appreciated. Perhaps we should list a financial hardship. Paying for home health is difficult.....I'm paying out of my own pocket!

Ebony

6. vetadmin

The VA has 10 days to respond to a Congressional inquiry, so hopefully you will be hearing something in the near future.

I'm not surprised that you were told there had to be a chronic illness or financial hardship, but the 70 or older does apply. Keep in mind that the VA prioritizes apps. Veterans from WWII and Korea are first, and widows applications do not get the same priority as a Veteran.

7. takkaebby2003

takkaebby2003 Newbie

Thanks Debbie! I signed my dad up for ebenefits so I feel better about at least being able to see the progress (or lack of) his claim. I just hate the different responses that you get from each rep.....

Thanks for your encouragement!!!

Ebony