Mother Passed Away

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ksflygirl, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Sadly, our 87 year old mother passed away today September 14. Our application for the Aid and Attendance Pension was sent in March. What can we expect now. My sister has paid all of her expenses (besides what SS provided) Will we be able to receive any type of compensation for that time of application up until the time of her death, or do we just stop here? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

So sorry to hear of your loss, and sorry that your mom did not see this come through for her.

Truly my heart aches for you.

Please see this link to help you know what your options are.
    http://www.veteranaid.org/faq.php

3. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Still confused, even after reading this link. As adult children of the deceased spouse of a veteran (my mom) would my sister only be eligible for the expenses related to the "final illness and burial expenses" or for the expenses from the time of the original claim until her death?
    Sorry to not understand. It also seems as if it certainly is to the VA's advantage to drag their feet on this older population, as then they get sick and die without having to pay benefits, so sad.

4. vetadmin

Date of last illness is the date you submitted the application. Any expenses your sister paid for and has receipts for should all qualify. Burial expenses that were not prepaid can be claimed.

Yes, there is no doubt the VA does all they can to delay especially on these older veterans/widows.

Given her advanced age, her application should have been given priority process and no excuse for it to be out 6 months will with ruling.

5. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Thank you once again for such a speedy reply and for all that you have done to advance the worthy cause of helping veterans and their families. I have printed off the form provided and will proceed after we lovingly lay my mother to rest.
    Much appreciation.

6. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

KSFlygirl, so sorry for your loss. I just lost my Dad on 8/23, so I can empathize.

Deb, I have a related question on benefits. My dad was fortunate to have received a few months of benefits before he passed. The payments have been suspended and Sept. payment returned to VA, as it should have been. (It actually was automatically reversed through my bank at the request of the VA, didn't know they could do that!) Anyway, will I still receive that form at the end of the year, forget what it's called, that asks me to account for the expenses and gives me the opportunity to file for any additional expenses that weren't part of the original estimate?

7. vetadmin

No, you will not get the EVR to list expenses.

If you dad had accrued monies that had not been released, then you can use the same form in the above post to file against those expenses. You can only be reimbursed for whatever amount had not been paid out yet. If your expenses exceed that amount, there is no recovery for the overage.

8. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

Thanks, Deb, that answers my questions.

9. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Deb,
    Ksflygirl again.

My mother passed away September 14th just want to verify.
    1) Is there a form to send to the VA indicating that she passed away?
    2) Is the form that I fill out now VA Form 21-601?
    3) Do both my sister and I need to fill this out (she provided the majority of support and I do not wish to make any claim?
    Thank you for any help you can provide.

10. vetadmin