Mom awarded!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kathyk, May 24, 2017.

1. Kathyk

Kathyk Newbie

My mom got her award letter, and it's only for like $258, with her first check coming June 1st. My question is, I will be using this to pay myself for her care. I currently write myself a check from her account each month for caregiver services. Would I just continue to write that check, then another check for the VA monies stating on the memo line "dementia care for (month)"?

I also sent the fiduciary form in and then will have a different checking account when that finalizes ?

Also, what kinds of things can she pay for with her A & A monies (besides the caregiver)?

Thanks, Kathy

2. Kathyk

Kathyk Newbie

Does anyone know this question?

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Yes, you would need to write yourself a check for the care services you provide. A check is far better than cash for documentation purposes. I'm not sure what you mean by another check?...

You will have to set up a different, separate account for the fiduciary account.

Technically she can pay for whatever she needs with her A&A money but it is recommended it mostly be spent on care services.

4. Kathyk

Kathyk Newbie

What I meant by "another check" is, I write myself a check for her care from her ss & pension. Since she is now getting the A& A money that is going into that same checking account, should I write my usual check, then another check for the A & A money, just to keep the monies separate (until I'm appointed fiduciary), then that will be a separate account. I hope this makes sense to you. Thanks

Kaylin likes this.
  5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Ah, I see! Yes if it were me I would write separate checks until the fiduciary process has been completed. Better safe than sorry.

6. Matt375

Matt375 Jr. Member

Yes, keep everything separate so you can demonstrate the cost of the care being provided should the VA ever want proof. It will be much easier once you are appointed fiduciary.

Kaylin likes this.
  7. Kathyk

Kathyk Newbie

Thanks as always for your responses!

Kaylin likes this.