just starting....fiduciary?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steph, Dec 29, 2008.

1. steph

steph Newbie

Hello, thanks for this website and forum. i have the forms from my county gov person. the wholer eason my dad needs assisted living is due to dementia/mild cog impairment (don't know what they will put on there). so i know ahead of time that we need to do the fiduciary thing. what is the best way to start since i know this already? should i make myself the fiduciary? i mean i don't have anyone else. i was going to get us a joint checking acct so i can put everything online and pay the bills. does this automatically make the process longer to get approved? can't we just go in stating that I am the fiduciary?

please explain. thanks!
    steph

2. Patty

Patty Newbie

Unless you are your father's legal guardian, you can not just say you are the fiduciary. Legal guardian is a much longer/tougher process than Power of Attorney - so if you aren't sure if you are his legal guardian you are not. The VA is trying to protect your father from someone stealing or misusing his funds. If his dementia is mild, you might not go down the fiduciary road - if the physician's evaluation comes back with dementia on it, it expect that it will - then you might want to consider reaching out to a VSO, explaining the situation a delay in payment will cause and ask up front for him to meet you and your father to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.