Help with A&A form for grandmother

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leigh Ann, Aug 15, 2010.

  1. Leigh Ann

    Leigh Ann Newbie

    I am currently completing the a&a application. I am unsure about a couple of things:

    My grandmother is 87 and needs 24/7 care due to memory loss and dementia. Currently, my mother and I are taking turns staying with her. We have found a WONDERFUL assisted living community for her. The monthly cost is 2900.00.
    Her monthly income is 1250.00 SS and small pension. Bank accounts total 15,000. No other resources except for her home. They indicated on the form not to include the home. Is this correct?
    Expenses: I included medicare deduction, supplement insurance monthly amount, medication cost (got a print out from the pharmacy) yearly averages 3800.00. I did not include any other expenses, as my mother and I do not charge her.
    I need to get the doctor statement completed. Do I include the cost for the assisted living if she has not moved there at this time?
    I also include the 7000.00 out of pocket funeral expense for my grandfather last July.
    I have the marriage certificate, death certifcate, discharge papers, medication expense, and will have dr statement.
    I completed the application and my grandmother signed.
    Am I missing anything? Also my grandfather did not receive a pension from the VA, but did receive services from the local client. Do I INCLUDE this as a VA claim? Where in TN do I submit the claim? Thanks so much!
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    You do not include the home.

    At the end of this reply is a formula to use to help determine what her countable income is for VA purposes. If she is moving into the faciltiy in the immediate future, you can include the cost for the ALF, and you should get a Statement of Occupancy from them.

    The out of pocket expenses for your grandfather are not to be included, and no you do not include services as a VA claim unless he actually applied to the VA for those service and he was granted a pension or benefit.

    Given her savings, depending on what her "countable" is, the VA may say she does not qualify financially at this time. If that happens, then you would just do a Statement in Support of Claim once her funds have been depleted to a qualifying level.

    Good luck.

    The VA suggests that its adjudicators use a certain amount of personal judgment on this issue. But the bottom line is: does it realistically appear that the veteran or surviving spouse may outlive their assets? If so, they are likely eligible.

    Do NOT count their residence or vehicle when estimating net worth.

    Do NOT count a life insurance policy (because the policy holder must be
    deceased in order to benefit from it).

    DO count CDs, annuities, stocks, bonds, savings, checking, IRAs, Keogh,

    DO count any assets owned by the spouse as well.

    As a rule of thumb, assets should not exceed $80,000. That amount drops
    depending on the age of claimant.

    List below the estimated ANNUAL income of the veteran or surviving spouse:

    Estimate total income (If married include spousal income): ______

    All income must be included. This includes social security, pension,
    interest income, dividends, income from rental property, etc.

    If the veteran is married, then any spousal income must also be included.

    List all unreimbursed, recurring health care expenses:

    This includes:

    Assisted Living costs (per month): _________________

    Nursing Home costs (per month):________________

    Home Care service (per month):_______________

    Health Insurance premium (per month):_______________

    Medicare premium (per month):_________________

    Regular (unreimbursed) prescriptions
    (per month & verifiable through a pharmacy print-out): _____________

    TOTAL Expenses per month: __________
    (multiply x 12 to get total annual expenses)

    Subtract your total annual health care expenses from your total annual
    income and write the amount here: _____________. This is your "countable" income
  3. vbcoder

    vbcoder Jr. Member

    Leigh Ann if your grandmother is in TN then you would mail the forms to:

    Milwaukee Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5400 West National Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53214

    I don't think this has changed recently.
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member


    I forgot to include the address. Thanks for looking out, and that is the correct address.
  5. vbcoder

    vbcoder Jr. Member

    You're welcome Debbie and thank you for all that you do for Vets and their families.
  6. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Thanks for your ongoing support of this effort!
  7. Leigh Ann

    Leigh Ann Newbie

    Thank you for you the informaton. I actually met with the Dept. Of Veterans Affairs for the State of Tennessee today. The gentleman I spoke with was very helpful and he reviewed my application and will submit it on Monday when I return the doctor statemants. I did not know if I should have the AL complete the form since we have not "offically" decided on the date of move. We still have GULIT about taking her from her home, even though we realize we can not continue with the 24/7 care we are currently providing with both of us working full-time.
    I appreciate this site and all the wonderful people and advise.
    I will keep you posted. God Bless all those who served and are currently serving for our freedom, including my "hero grandfather."
  8. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Glad you found someone to help, but a word to the wise. Make sure you get a complete copy of the application, and include a 21-0845, and do not sign a 21-22a if you are asked to. Keep in mind if they mail it you will not have proof of delivery.

    Good luck!
  9. Leigh Ann

    Leigh Ann Newbie

    Well I just looked at the form the VA rep gave me and it is the 21-22 form. He did not give me the other one. Now I am thinking maybe I should just ask him for all my paperwork back tomorrow and tell him I want to send certified mail and leave out the 21-22 form.
    He also advised we change my grandmothers address to my address. He said it was not necessary to have all the documents when you send in the application. I have everything but the doctors statement and I can have that on Wednesday. He said I can semd later, that it is more important to get in by the end of August.
    So, should I change the address back to my grandmothers actual address? Someone can check the mail daily, and currently my mom and I are there 24/7.
    Should I ditch the 21-22 form?
    Is the other form for the release of information to a second party necessary?
    AND LAST...... Should I send certified mail?>
    THANKS so much!
  10. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    The VA is not processing 21-22's at this time until a ruling has been made on the application, so do not include it.

    I would get the report from the Dr on Wed and have everything else ready to go, and mail it Return Receipt, so you can take advantage of getting it in for the month of Aug otherwise it will push it out another month on her qualifying date.

    You can use her address if someone is there every day to get the mail, and YES you need to do the 21-0845. If you do not include this with the application, the VA will not speak to anyone about the status of the claim other than your grandmother. This is not a postion you want to be in.
  11. vbcoder

    vbcoder Jr. Member

    Leigh Ann;

    I know that it's been stated before but I want to reiterate that you make copies of everything and
    send the copies, not the original documents except for the proof of service.Be sure to keep a copy
    of all forms that you send ,i.e. doctors statements, ALF cost, medicine cost, and VA forms.

    Like Debbie said, be sure you send it "Return Receipt" so you will have proof they received it and
    the date they received it.
  12. Leigh Ann

    Leigh Ann Newbie

    Thank you all very much. I would have been LOST without your help. I will keep you posted. I am sure I will have quite a wait.

    Leigh Ann
  13. Max

    Max Hero Member

    Please include the value of the home when submitting the application if she no longer lives there. Eventually, usually through the fiduciary process, this information comes back and it creates a big mess. Its easier to deal with on the front end of things.

Share This Page