eligible for VA benefits?

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by billncpd, Apr 4, 2014.

1. billncpd

billncpd Newbie

I enlisted in the USMC in 1965 during the Viet Nam war, and while going through boot camp was sent to the hospital for a hand injury. While in the hospital the doctor noticed my scar from a kidney operation I had when I was a child. The decision was made to medically discharge me with an Honorable discharge and the notation "recommended for re enlistment" on my dd-214. The doctor said they did not want me to become injured and eligible for a disability pension because of the prior kidney operation. I did not complete 90 days of active service though. I recently went to my audiologist and she has recently worked for the VA. She advised me that there have been recent rule changes and since I was medically discharged from active service that I might be eligible for veterans benefits (such as hearing aides).
    Any information you could provide will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Bill Buckley
    Leander, Texas

2. Pete

Pete Newbie

It is highly unlikely you would be eligible for any veterans benefits but you should still apply to make sure

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

We can't speak to any benefits you may be entitled to from the medical side of things. For the purpose of this pension, the 90 days of consecutive service would be a requirement.