Eligibility for Aid and Attendance

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Berky, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Berky

Berky Newbie

I am trying to figure out if my mother is eligible to apply for Aid and Attendance. I was hoping that someone could answer a few questions that I have.
    First, I was told that since she didn't qualify financially for benefits prior to needing Aid and Attendance she will not qualify for Aid and Attendance.
    Second, my father died when I was very young and she remarried but the marriage was annulled will this limit her qualification?
    Lastly, if she can qualify, when applying for benefits I read that I would need to mark death benefits, is that correct.

Thank you for your assistance. I truly appreciate all you are doing.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

In order to qualify financially for A&A, your mother will have to have about $80,000 in total assets or less. And she will need to be paying for care that is depleting her monthly total income. You can use this sheet here (http://www.veteranaid.org/docs/income.pdf) to help you determine what is considered countable income for this particular benefit.

If your mother remarried but this marriage was never legal than she could still qualify for the benefit based off of her first marriage. You would need to have some sort of marriage certificate from her first marriage, though. Certified copy, not the original, is what you would send in.

Yes, you would mark "death pension" on the application for the A&A benefit.

Thank you for the kind words!