Denied A&A, Make Too Much?

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by Meta Liuzzo, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Meta Liuzzo

Meta Liuzzo Newbie

I am surprised how people get approved for A&A and wanted to ask if I can do anything else.
    My father is in the final stages of IPF and wants to stay home so we have been doing all we can to help this happen. We have spent alot out of our pockets paying various people to take care of him and now he is needing care 24/7. My brother and I do not live close so the expense plus emotional part of how bad he is doing is so stressful.
    I had applied for A&A homebound in July 2016 because he was still able to get around but needed help here and there, but was paying out of pocket for it. We did call in hospice almost a month ago now because he can no longer walk far without his oxygen level tanking. It was just this week I got the letter of the denial because it says he makes to much???
    He only has military retirement (Master Sargent 1968) and social security, lives by himself since mom passed 11 years ago. He still has house payments on a old house and has no savings.
    It just seems someone getting retirement and social security would never get it. So confused, hurt and trying to hold on. Thought these funds would come in to pay people I still owe and would have get some back we have paid out.
    He was in the AF for 20 years and has an incurable lung disease and I can not get any help from the VA. I am happy for the people who have been approved because they need and deserved it but I can't understand why my father and our family are not a part of the same. We really need the help. Does anyone know what I could try?
    Thank you.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Meta, without knowing the exact numbers of his income vs. care expenses it is hard to say whether he should have or should have not been denied. Did he serve during an approved period of war? Which I'll list below. He had to serve during one of these approved periods of war in order to be eligible. In addition to being honorably discharged.

• World War II: December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946, extended to July 25, 1947, where continuous with active duty on or before December 31, 1946
    • Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950, through January 31, 1955.
    • Vietnam Era: August 5, 1964, through May 7, 1975.90 However, February 28, 1961, through May 7, 1975, for a veteran who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period.
    • Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990, through a date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law.
    • Congress has not enacted legislation that would make the periods covering the 1983-1984 Lebanon crisis or the invasions of Grenada and Panama wartime service.