Deleted post?

Discussion in 'Waiting on Updates' started by casagrayson, Mar 10, 2016.

1. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

I started a thread yesterday that had a reply from Admin. The thread is gone today; did I say something I shouldn't have?

I'm waiting for a decision letter for my father. The eBenefits site says the letter went out 3/3, and the claim was closed on 3/4. But no package from the VA. Is this unusual? Does it come regular mail or registered?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

casagrayson,

I apologize about that. The site was going through some maintenance so your post may have been deleted. I think you should be receiving a letter by mail soon. Usually we do not recommend people use the eBenefits site so I have not had much experience with it myself or the timeline of when people are normally awarded and get communication from the VA. If you don't get the letter by early next week, I would call the VA.

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

casagrayson,

No, you cannot find out the decision via the e-benefits site.

You will have to wait on the letter to learn of the decision, and you should be getting that any time now.

Hope it is good news for you!

4. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

Thank you. I guess I'll just wait and worry. :-\

5. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

My father's mail is now being forwarded from his permanent address to his assisted living facility. There's no possibility that the determination letter would have been considered a "do not forward" item, is there?

6. Kaylin

It should be forwarded correctly to the assisted living facility. But that does mean that it is more likely that it could get lost in the mail, as I have had that issue when changing addresses myself. I hope the award letter is forwarded soon to his facility. That means it may take a bit longer to forward, too, so do not worry too much yet!

7. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

casagrayson,

No, but you will need to keep an eye out as it is not uncommon for seniors to set mail aside or in the trash, so you will want be on the lookout.

8. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

Denied. :'(

9. Kaylin

casagrayson,

Oh no! What did the VA say was the reason for the denial? Perhaps it's an issue that can be fixed.

10. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

I posted this on another thread - the one with the VA rep.

They denied us for too many assets. I didn't think my father's IRA would be counted against my mother's assets since it is not in her name, but it was. That was $16K too much. However, they also said I didn't supply them with a requested expenses form, which I did. I'm not sure what direction to go now.

Here is it in a nutshell. My parents are both WWII vets. They both need care in assisted living. Right now they can live together because my dad can help take care of my mother, but at some point my mom might have to be moved to memory care and my dad to skilled nursing. They are 94 and 95. I applied for benefits for them separately; maybe that was a mistake. I'm sure I will get the denial letter for my father soon because the financial amounts were identical on the applications. Should I just focus on ONE application right now? I've got some ways to move money around (and some additional bills to pay) that will lower their assets to a better number. I also can detail out more expenses. (I did this application *before* I found this site, and I did it hurriedly to get it in before the end of last year.) As I understand it, I *shouldn't* appeal but just supply additional information in support of the claim, correct?

I've successfully done Medicaid applications for an elderly blind cousin and another family member. I thought I understood the government system and runaround. This makes Medicaid look like a cake walk - especially because there are no absolutes!!

11. Kaylin

casagrayson,

You are correct, this is a confusing application process for many. You are not the only one!

It makes sense that they counted your father's IRA against your mother's assets as well because if they are married veterans and living together then it will look like he could use those funds to help pay for her care as well.

The form you submitted for the expenses, was that the medical expense report? This one right here?: http://www.veteranaid.org/docs/21p-8416.pdf

You are correct in that we recommend shouldn't try to appeal. It takes a very long time to appeal (about 2 years) and rarely does it result in the answer you want. We do not recommend it.

Hopefully if you can get to that lower number after paying some bills and listing out all the correct expenses on that medical expense report, you can resubmit that for your mother and father (each, since you sent in an application for each person the first time around).

12. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

No. The resubmitted expenses form that they requested was 21-8049. I'll fill out the form you linked, then update the 21-8049. I didn't include Rx, incontinence supplies, etc on the original application. Would I use form 21-4138 (statement in support of claim) for updating the asset amounts?

Also, should I send another letter asking for expedited decisions based on their ages?

13. Kaylin

That makes sense, too. They send the 21-0849 when they are requesting additional financial information. Yes, you can use these two expense forms (the medical expense and the 21-0849) as well as the Statement in Support of Claim 21-4138 to update them on the correct asset amounts.

Since they are both over the age of 90, I would suggest you request to expedite the decision. I would think you can just include that on the Statement in Support of Claim form as well. Or you can put it in a cover letter to resubmit with the rest of the documents you are sending.

14. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

I've got the paperwork together to submit in support of my claim. I've got the assets down to $69,000 (for the couple). Based on their numbers, the deficit of medical expenses to income is $4400/mo. Hopefully this will be good enough to get them to reconsider the denial. I'm sending the 21-4138 detailing the assets and asking for expedition, the 21-8049 (which I've already sent twice but they say they never received), and copies of bank statements verifying the asset totals.

In the denial letter, it says to send any updated information to the address of the St. Paul, MN office. I will definitely send the package there return receipt requested. However, I also have a form (where I found this I do not remember) which is a fax cover sheet titled Submission of Documents to Department of Veteran Affairs Centralized Mail Processing. The office is located in Janesville, WI. Should I also fax a copy?

15. Kaylin

casagrayson,

Sounds like you're ready to submit the paperwork! I would only fax it to the St. Paul, MN office. The WI office, we have recently found out, is a center where they are scanning all of the A&A documents of every claim they get in to an online database so they cannot be lost. You would not need to send the documents there. They will probably send copies there for you anyways.

Best of luck!