Contacted Senator today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kelly, Sep 19, 2013.

1. kelly

kelly Newbie

After reading this article in our paper a couple of months ago, I decided after 240 days of waiting to contact my senator.
    http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x1806124275/Blumenthal-Murphy-call-for-VA-benefits-reform

Senator Blumenthal has agreed to assign someone from his office to contact the VA on my dad's behalf. Things are getting so desperate that my sister's and I are fighting about trying to take care of our own families needs or to take care of my parents. It shouldn't be like this. We are all on limited budgets and no one can afford to do this anymore. I love how the VA says the average is 116 days to process the claims. We have been in "Pending Decision Approval" since July and there has been no movement.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Wish you had done this sooner as there is NO excuse to be at 240+ days!

Let us know how it goes, and best wishes that this will get a determination on the application.

3. kelly

kelly Newbie

I thought I had every detail/paper properly completed to speed this along. I put everything in a nice red binder with tabs sectioning every required form and doctors report. They have never asked for any additional forms or paperwork so I don't understand when you have everything you need why it takes so long to approve.

4. vetadmin

Sounds to me like the application got put aside and never found again. Again hoping the Senator's office can handle this for you. If you do not have a reply after 45 days from the Senator's office, you need to contact them again and have them contact the VA again.

5. kelly

kelly Newbie

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail saying they needed the attendant affidavit, which they already have. My senator did contact them as on benefits says something like special correspondence received. They have had the affidavit since January and it just makes me sick that they have held this up for months for something they already have. Question, do I sign the new form and upload it, or point out to the fact that it's in the binder under the section labeled "Attendant Affidavit"

6. vetadmin

Kelly,

While it is most tempting to bring it to their attention, sign the new form so the application can go forward. You really don't want to know how many mailed forms and applications fall into the same category, so not worth the fight on this go round.

7. kelly

kelly Newbie

Received letter today and only a partial award of $672 was granted. They determined their countable income at zero with the veteran and one dependent. They said medical expenses was only $23733. His social sec income is $28,018 and hers is $11,482. Any idea why only partial?

8. vetadmin

Kelly,

You would need to go through and determine if they gave full credit for all their allowable medical expenses. If you think something was not included, then call them and do a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim explaining further and list what you think was not counted to make them eligible for the entire amount.

9. kelly

kelly Newbie

I called the VA and all they could tell me was they made a mistake in the letter. They are not allowing certain deductions for medical but they can't tell me which ones. The letter clearly states that the current income is zero but is only showing 23,000 for medical deductions. He said that one person sets the income levels and another person sets the medical deductions allowed and the letter is sent. I just don't get it.!!

10. kelly

kelly Newbie

I just got a call back from the VA from my earlier call today where you put your number in and they call you back. I guess they didn't realize they already called. I'm so fired up right now that I can't even type. My dad's claim was filed on Jan. 25, 2013. They will not consider any expenses paid in 2012 as they use the calendar year. They did not allow my dad's insulin, doctor's appointments, hospital expenses, surgery copayments, physical therapy, dental payments or any other medical expense that happened in 2012. So they will only allow expenses that happened in 2013 for the first 25 days of January. I was trying to show their medical expenses that they incurred. So I guess the moral of the story is don't file in the first half of the year. Does that sound correct?

11. vetadmin

What is really the issue here is the "ongoing" reoccurring monthly expenses for "care". One time events or treatments that are not deemed to be ongoing are not given the same considerations as fees to the ALF or private caregivers.

Obviously his insulin should be granted as it is daily, and ongoing, but dental, surgery co-pays would not be considered by them as "reoccurring".

Hope that clears up some of the confusion, but I have no doubt it won't make you any happier. Sorry.