Attendant Affidavit for home care

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rlmoehring, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. Rlmoehring

    Rlmoehring Newbie

    I posted this yesterday, but I think in the wrong spot.

    I have helped my husband apply for Aid for his mother, who is a widow of a WWII veteran. She lives at home, but my sister in laws must be with her all day every day. She has Alzheimer's and is unable to dress herself or feed herself. We have also hired someone to help her out - mostly to give my sister in laws some relief. When I filled in the application, I indicated that each of her daughters was spending 20 hours a week, 80 hours a month caring for her. I estimated an hourly rate for the care at $10. $10 is the amount that we are paying to an attendant to care for her about 20 hours a week.

    The application was returned with a request to fill in an Attendant Affidavit for each of the 'sitters' that are caring for her. The Affidavit indicates that she must be PAYING them to care for her, and the research that I have done indicates that we should have a caregiver contract for each of them. The problem is, family is caring for her because she can not afford to pay for a caregiver. We are applying for the additional pension in order to provide additional help to relieve her daughters, especially as the disease progresses and caring for her becomes increasingly challenging.

    So we seem to be in a Catch-22 - she can not afford to pay someone, so her daughters are caring for her. If we hired someone to care for her, she would not be able to pay them. Does anyone have advice for this? I am considering getting a home equity loan from her home so that she can use it to pay her daughters so that she will qualify for the additional assistance. I am just not certain that would be the best approach. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Max

    Max Hero Member

    You're right, it is a catch 22. The best way to get around this is to loan her money so that she can pay the caregivers. Specifically state on the form that she is paying for the caregivers with a loan. This establishes that she is paying for the expense AND funds received from a loan aren't countable as income for VA purposes.

    Please let me know if this doesn't make sense.
  3. Fit2009

    Fit2009 Sr. Member

    She can also pay the daughters for the caregiving - the daughter's can assume some of her non-medical bills such as electric or mortgage - just nothing that she would susequently deduct as a medical expense for VA purposes. Checks must be written and cashed and the payment of her bills must occur regularly to not be deemed a gift.

Share This Page