Aid & Attendance Widow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aca, Dec 14, 2007.

1. aca

aca Newbie

My father, a decorated WWII honorably discharged vet, recently passed away. My mother loses his pension, medical insurance, and a good part of his social security benefits and has to survive on $900/mo.(her ss and retirement). My mother is legally blind and requires the assistance of someone for some of her daily activities. She currently resides with her daughter who is divorced, works part-time and provides part-time assisted living to my mother. My parents have been paying my sister a monthly fee for the care she provided them. My questions:

1) Can the money my mother pays my sister be counted towards reducing countable income in qualifying for A&A?
    2) Is there a medical benefit the VA could provide to my mother to help pay for the co-ins that Medicare does not cover?

Thank you

2. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

1) Can the money my mother pays my sister be counted towards reducing countable income in qualifying for A&A?

Yes it can but your sister must actually be paid and records must be kept.

2) Is there a medical benefit the VA could provide to my mother to help pay for the co-ins that Medicare does not cover?

I am not aware of anything from the VA but the cost of the co-ins can be used to reduce countable income.

3. aca

aca Newbie

Thank you for your repsonse. I have an additional question or two.

1) If my mother continues to live with my sister, will my sister's earnings be included in countable income in determining A&A?

2) Is it best for me to deal with the VA on behalf of my mother since I will be completing the paperwork. If so, what VA form needs to be filed to do this?

3) My mother lives in GA. I see from some of the posts that filing in another state might be faster. Can this be done or do you have to file in the state in which the veteran lived?

Thank you

4. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

1) If my mother continues to live with my sister, will my sister's earnings be included in countable income in determining A&A?

Your sister's income does not count in determining your mother's entitlement to A&A. I am assuming your sister is not a dependent of your mother. She is over 18 and living on her own?

2) Is it best for me to deal with the VA on behalf of my mother since I will be completing the paperwork. If so, what VA form needs to be filed to do this?

If you are going to be doing all of the paperwork and any follow-up work on the claim then I recommend you submit the VA form 21-22a.

3) My mother lives in GA. I see from some of the posts that filing in another state might be faster. Can this be done or do you have to file in the state in which the veteran lived?

The claim must be filed in the state where the claimant resides. You can use your mailing address for correspondence from the VA. I recommend do so, to make sure you get all correspondence in a timely manner. Most VA forms and correspondence have to be replied to within 60 days.

5. aca

aca Newbie

6. aca

aca Newbie

Thank you for your assistance with the VA benefits, this site is an excellent source of information for those in need. I wish you all a very Merry X-Mas and happy holiday season.

7. aca

aca Newbie

I have another question or two, if I may.

1) My father (Vet) was receiving a disability payment from the VA related to a 40% disability as a result of serving in WWII.
    Question - Is my mother entitled to any of this disability payment? I will be applying for Aid and Attendance for her.

2) Do you have a list of supporting documents that should be submitted with A&A application and which of those need to be originals and not copies.

Thank you