Aid and Attendance - Blind widow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LaurieG, May 14, 2008.

1. LaurieG

LaurieG Newbie

Hi - My mother is legally blind and is in the independent living section of an assisted living facility. Since she's in the independent living section of the ALF, is she disqualified from A & A? Or does being legally blind qualify her?

TIA-
    Laurie

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Laurie,

You mom being legally blind would qualify her for A&A. For additional clarification on this, I will ask our Advocate to specify any other particuliars that would be factored in.

3. LaurieG

LaurieG Newbie

Thank you for any info you can provide. I called the VA office in Florida so I can get the paperwork started. I'm bummed out that I just found out about this, because my mother probably could have received benefits for several years. Better late than never, I guess --

Laurie

4. ida

ida Newbie

HELP

My 89 year old mother-in-law filed for aid and attendance back in August 2007. My husband and I have been calling every month for the past six months to get status on the claim. They keep telling us "... it is still pending. We are working on it." We are at our wits (and close to monies) end. What can we do?
    Any help or advise will be appreciated!