A&A Benefit the Month of Death

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by yosemitesam, Nov 13, 2013.

1. yosemitesam

yosemitesam Newbie

My Father, on A&A for just over 5 years, died at the end of October (10/29.) I notified the VA immediately (10/30), and as expected, they reversed their November payment.

I received a letter from the Dept. of Veteran's Affairs the other day telling me I had to return (by personal check or money order) his A&A benefit from October - all of it! As for the past 5 years, his expenses exceeded his income from all sources - I've still had to pay for October's rent/meals at his assisted living place plus a few thousand dollars for additional care as his needs increased.

Is it true that I need to write a check for the October benefits he received (living until the night of 10/29?)

Thanks for your help!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

This is not right! The reversal of the November payment was the return of the October bill.

You should write a letter stating:

Dear VA,
    The October payment was deposited on _____ and pulled back by the VA on _____ therefore the full October benefit has been returned to you.
    Thank you for updating your records to reflect the return of the October Benefit.

I would include the statement from the bank showing the deposit and withdrawal.

3. yosemitesam

yosemitesam Newbie

Re: A&A Benefit the Month of Death - f/u

My attachment did not work the first time. I'll try it again.

Attached Files:

4. yosemitesam

yosemitesam Newbie

Re: A&A Benefit the Month of Death Attempt #2

I don't know where the message/reply went that was with the attachment I did!

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

So . .the payment deposited to Dad's account 10/31 is for November. It was withdrawn 11/7 and the bank notation was "deceased" and referenced the 10/31 deposit.

Is there a section in the VA manual that I can reference - where it is stated that the benefits received by a veteran are for that month (not the previous one?)

Thanks so much.

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

It’s in the award letter. Look at that for clarifications on date and month of the award.