2nd spouse eligible for A&A benefits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JulieF, Apr 29, 2013.

1. JulieF

JulieF Newbie

Does anyone know if a 2nd wife is eligible for the A&A benefits, and if so where on the web-site can I find info on how to verify requirements/eligibility?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

If the 1st marriage ended in divorce or death, and you are the 2nd spouse, yes you are eligible providing the vet's dates of service qualify.

3. JulieF

JulieF Newbie

Thank you so much for this info. It is actually info for my mom. My dad was never in the military but after his death, my mom remarried my step-dad and he did serve during WW2. His 1st wife preceeded him in death..and then he and my mom were married for 13 years before he passed away. We have heard many differing stories on the eligibilty about VA spousal benefits..i.e., 2nd spouses are not eligible, must have been married to vet over 10 years to be eligible, type of job in the military determines eligibility (front line soldier versus desk job..etc)
    I am glad to be able to find a forum that has current and accurate information to share, and how to proceed to get VA qualified for benefits for my mom.

Thanks again!

4. vetadmin

Julie,

You are welcome, and you should begin making application for your Mom.

Good luck with it all. Please use the site and forums to assist you.

5. ALforMom

ALforMom Newbie

Thanks for all the good information. It appears you've already answered this one, but I want to be sure. My father was in WWII and after the war married my mother. They were married for 12 years, then divorced. My father remarried but mom never did. I guess my mom is not eligible since my parents were divorced? I too have heard the "10 year married" criteria, but it not the case?
    Thanks very much.

6. ALforMom

ALforMom Newbie

For clarity, they were married in 1950 and divorced in 1962. My dad is still alive.

7. vetadmin

Sorry, but the divorce does make Mom ineligible. Your Dad's current wife would be considered either his spouse or widow.