VeteranAid.org Forum
October 20, 2014, 06:16:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lots of successes are being reported on the forums.  If you are running into difficulties, ask questions.  Many successes came from getting answers from people who have been through the process.

Home   Help Search Login Register

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter states that VA doesn't pay for things  (Read 1541 times)
dahueter

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »

Well, I'm a little upset for my parents.  Mom and I completed the form in total.  She went to the VA office in her area, Naples Florida, and they said that we did everything right.  Today Mom got a letter stating that they are only paying $20 a month.  Here are some of the tidbits directly from the letter:

They consider the gross amount per month for social security, not the net.
They do not consider medical expenses that are not recurring.  "We generally do not consider prescription co-pays and doctor visits as predictable expenses".  These are complete out of pocket expenses.
To claim family medical expenses we now have to complete another form, VA Form 21-8416.  "We may consider family medical expenses you paid after June 16, 2011".  They cite Medicare/health Insurance Premiums, prescriptions and Medical/dental expenses.  But what about all of the prescriptions that they pay for now out of pocket.  Some of my Dad's meds are not covered by Part D.  What about everything we put down in Section X of the form?  That says to put down all family medical expenses that you paid for out of pocket.
Then, of course, there are 4 pages of appeal information. 
My Mom is having cataract surgery and is having a hard time reading all of these forms.  Can I call the number on the letter and talk with them?
My Mom just wants to give up at this  point.  Thank you for your guidance. I'm so disappointed for them.
KarenO

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »

Do you pay for a caregiver?
dahueter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »

No.  Would that make a difference?  I read and reread all of the documents that they sent to my Mom last night.  I don't see anywhere on the initial form where it says that you have to put medical expenses on a separate form.  Am I missing something?  And we were told to put down everything including diapers.  That's obviously a recurring expense.
Gosh. So frustrated.
vetadmin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »

Many of these misc expenses can be claimed at the end of the year when you have to submit the annual EVR.

The biggest issue I can see at this point is the amount of money paid for a caregiver.  That is where the majority of money goes for expenses.  If mom is not paying anyone for care, then you will not have much to deduct from the monthly income indicating the need for this pension in order to pay for care and services.

Are there caregiver expenses?

You never want to "appeal" a decision on this pension.  You will be two+ years going that route.  All you need to do is submit a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim providing additional information to the VA to consider.
Caroliso

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »

Vicki said:  "
You never want to "appeal" a decision on this pension.  You will be two+ years going that route.  All you need to do is submit a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim providing additional information to the VA to consider."

I am into my second month of receiving A&A funds for my Dad.  Our caregiver expenses increased after the application was submitted.  At this point, should I submit a 21-4138 reporting the additional expenses, or am I better off waiting for the EVR?  And is the EVR automatically sent or do I have to download it from somewhere?

Thanks.
vetadmin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »

If your dad is receiving the highest award on the pension, then no.  If not, then yes if it will increase his award and the increase in his expenses is substantial and not just a couple of dollars.

The EVRs are sent out automatically twice a year depending on when the award was granted.  You have limited time to complete and return them, so do not be late with it as the VA will stop the pension if late.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: