Yet Another Eligibility Newbie

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by LoweMA, Dec 3, 2016.

1. LoweMA

LoweMA Newbie

Folks,

My Dad was a WWII pilot who met my Mom after the war. He was married to some one during the war but they divorced either before he left the service or very shortly after. I don't know, and we have no documentation on hand that can support any of that. However, My Mom and Dad were married at the time of his death in 1981. My Mom is now 86, lives on her own in a studio apartment, is able to get around but with some difficulty. She uses a cane and sometimes a walker. Currently she is in need of a move to a more "supervisory" type of facility. As I mentioned she has difficulty walking but still seems to manage with tasks such as cleaning and other daily needs but it is evident that she is in need of some one to help her out. At a minimum of 2-3 days per week. I would like to move her to an assisted living facility. Her only income is Dad's pension and her Social Security, $1700/mo. No Assets. We would absolutely need to have A&A to be able to get her into a relatively decent facility. Is there any chance of her receiving A&A? Is A&A awarded as an all or nothing amount or is it based on the person's requirements?

Thanks,

Mike

Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Good questions here, Mike.

A&A is awarded at different amounts based on the person's needs. So she could qualify for a smaller amount, if not the entire amount. If it were me, I would want the most money I could get to pay for care for my own mother. But it is not a requirement not is it absolutely necessary. And you never know if you may need the A&A benefit amount at a higher rate later down the road. If she needs more care in the future. She sounds like she qualifies for A&A to me!

As for your questions about care - the best resource to use to find the right care for your mother is A Place for Mom. Their services are completely free and you'll work with a local care advisor in your mother's area to find the right fit for her. You can give them a call at 1-866-584-7191