Will VA Accept Grocery Shopping Service As Part of Home Care Team?

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by k2, Oct 25, 2015.

1. k2

k2 Newbie

A disabled homebound couple who receive A&A are considering adding a grocery shopping service to reduce expenses and gain more quality time with home care assistants for hands on priorities. (The shopping service functions as an independent contractor, so pays their own employee taxes while still offering a comparably good rate for large shopping trips.)

Under these conditions, would payments to a grocery shopping service qualify as home care for V.A. purposes?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Since they are already receiving A&A, and they can spend the money how they choose, there would be no need to inform the VA about this.

If you are thinking the expense would increase their monthly award, in the bigger scheme of things it would not have much impact from a care standpoint.
  3. k2

k2 Newbie

Thank you for clarifying. I am asking if it would be accepted: (1) at all and (2) for the monthly award. This would help make the difference between them being able to structure their limited funds ito stay at home or not.
  4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I honestly don't know how the VA would look at this. There are a couple of ways it could go.

If the thought is to try and show an additional expense to increase monthly award, then you could certainly try.

Use the 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to show the expense, and see how they rule on it.

I would be most interested, as I am sure many here would to learn of the outcome.