When do A&A benefits cease, the day, month or previous month of death?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoanB, Jan 10, 2018.

1. JoanB

JoanB Newbie

My mother is the military veteran and was receiving monthly a pension benefit ( A & A) and social security while in an assisted living facility. She passed away on Christmas Eve 2017. I have now learned that we must pay back her December Social Security as one does not receive SS benefits the month they die. Is this the same case for A&A? Will we have to pay back her A&A for the whole month of December, or is it adjusted so that we only pay back from the day she died to the end of the month? (7 days). Or does the VA allow for any gratuitous days after her death? When do the benefits cease?

2. SickofVA

SickofVA Newbie

I would like to know the answer to this question also. If we have already paid assisted living with the funds for the month they die, how are we supposed to pay it back?

3. JoanB

JoanB Newbie

Trying to handle finances after my moms recent death. I know it probably takes awhile to get responses on forums, but I am concerned that the VA may follow the same logic with A & A as the gov't does with Social Security. They don't pay benefits the month of death, is it the same with a & a? Should she die on the first or the 30th, it doesn't matter, no benefits that month. If no one is familiar with this situation, can someone advise where to searchr? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. SickofVA

SickofVA Newbie

Not sure how they can get away with this when the money has already been spent on care. If there are no assets left, there is no $ to pay them back, so good luck with that VA or SS.

5. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

Having gone through this in November 2016, I can help. My father passed away November 11. We had to pay back November SS and A&A monies. We also received A&A on December 1 and returned those funds as well. You can either work through your bank’s reclamation department or send funds directly to VA. We worked through our bank and kept all paperwork for proof.

For the VA, you can file to receive reimbursement after death. It takes a while and a bit of paperwork, but we did get the November funds back a few months later.

Long story short, you do have to pay that money back. It’s a royal pain and makes no sense whatsoever!

Kaylin likes this.
  6. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

Having gone through this in November 2016, I can help. My father passed away November 11. We had to pay back November SS and A&A monies. We also received A&A on December 1 and returned those funds as well. You can either work through your bank’s reclamation department or send funds directly to VA. We worked through our bank and kept all paperwork for proof.

For the VA, you can file to receive reimbursement after death. It takes a while and a bit of paperwork, but we did get the November funds back a few months later.

Long story short, you do have to pay that money back. It’s a royals pain and makes no sense whatsoever!

7. JoanB

JoanB Newbie

Thank you for the information, very helpful. Just to clarify, did you have to payback the entire amount for the month,; but were then able to claim, using the Form 21-601 for the portion of the month he was alive?

8. SickofVA

SickofVA Newbie

I still do not understand how the $ can be paid back unless the ALF returns the funds. My dad is still alive, but getting near the end of life. He has no assets to pay the VA or SS back for the final month. I guess if someone dies toward the end of the month it is not a big deal but if they die at the beginning then it is. All his SS and VA funds go to pay the ALF in advance. There will be no money to pay them back.

9. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

I need to add that when I say “our” I’m speaking if my dad and moms’s accounts.

10. conzie605

conzie605 Newbie

The VA retroactively paid him for the month of November up and until 11/11 — the date of his death. Because he had been in assisted living, we had to pack up his things quickly and move everything out and then we got a refund from the facility which helped as well.

There is no easy way around this if they pass away toward the beginning of the month. It adds insult to injury for sure. The VA responded pretty quickly with the retroactive pay. They do what they can, I guess.

It’s good to be asking these queations in advance. We had no idea and were in shock. Yikes. It all worked out.

We also had my mom still in ALF. We had to completely re-apply for her as a surviving spouse and waited 4-6 months for her to be approved. My brother and I and to cover the cost until she got approved. We filled out all the forms we had already done. The payments stopped almost immediately when my dad passed. It seems to me that they could just adjust the amount and keep it going since she was already A&A rated. Thankfully, her doctor and then ALF didn’t mind completing the paperwork again.

11. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Thank you for giving your input and answering the questions above, @conzie605 . You are correct in that the funds have to unfortunately be paid back if the veteran or spouse of veteran passes away mid-month.