When can I expect to receive the EVR for 2009?... awarded

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MJ, Jan 3, 2010.

1. MJ

MJ 85 year old mother is surviving spouse of veteran

benefits 7-1-09. Do I need to find this form online or do they mail it out?
    Thanks, MJ

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

MJ,

They are mailed out, but if you just started receiving the pension, you will not get one until next year. They are mailed out towards the end of Dec and into the early part of Jan.

3. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

The rule on the EVR is the yearend AFTER the year you applied - so if you applied in 2009, you should not receive one this year - if you applied in 2008 you should get one. And, not everyone seems to get one...if you don't get one, don't worry.

4. magnumpi28

magnumpi28 Jr. Member

Fit wrote: "...so if you applied in 2009, you should not receive one this year..."

Hi Fit: This is not always the case, please let me explain:

FACT 1: I applied in May, 2009 and recieved benifet August 2009. I recieved an EVR a couple days ago.
    FACT 2: I researched MJ posts and she wrote: "the check has arrived as of 11-11-09! $4224.00 back to July 1, 2009!! Next check is due 12-1-09 $1056.00. Thank you for all the help here!!!!

The question is, Why did I receive an EVR but MJ didnt recieve an EVR when we both was awarded the benifet in 2009?

The answer i found is because I recieved the benefit award BEFORE the end of the month august 2009. As for MJ she recieved the benifet award payment AFTER septmeber 1rst, 2009.

So at least in MJ's case Fit2009 is 100 percent correct, she will not recieve an EVR this month(January, 2010.)

PS. Fit2009 knows a heck of a lot more about this stuff than I do! My answer may be wrong!

5. kayellen

kayellen Newbie

OK --- appreciate all the responses. BUT ... Award was received effective Sept 3, 2009 ... so therefore back payment was for Oct & Nov, which was received in December... then we received Dec pension on Jan. 1, 2020 and so on...
    The BUT is that with the Award for backpayment we received an EVR along with a letter that is hard to understand. One place it talks about that we would be able to apply for prior years benefit, etc... then it specificallys says that to protect our monthly benefit FROM Sept. 3, 2009 we should fill out the EVR?????

You have to read the letter carefully... and from all the responses I can see everyone has an opinion also........

MJ -- Did you also receive a letter and an EVR ?????

6. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Yes on the EVR and the advice Fit gave you is what you really need to focus on as they may be entitled to additional monies.

7. MJ

MJ 85 year old mother is surviving spouse of veteran

What I read in the award letter is:
    To claim family medical expenses, complete the enclosed VA for 21-8416, "Medical Expense Report" and return it to this office no later than Dec 31, 2011. We may reconsider family medical expenses you paid after June 16, 2009. A few examples are listed below . More examples are listed ont the enclosed Medical Expense Report form.

PROBLEM: THIS LETTER STATES ENCLOSURES
    VA FORM 21-8416
    VA FORM 21-8767
    VA FORM 4107
    NONE! OF THESE FORMS WERE ATTACHED!!!!!
    TOMORROW I WILL CALL THE VA# 1-800-827-1000 AND SEE WHAT I CAN FIND OUT. THEN.... HAVE TO DETERMINE IF THE PERSON I SPEAK WITH KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.... MAYBE I SHOULD GO FOR 2 OUT OF 2 ANSWERS????

8. kayellen

kayellen Newbie

Thanks MJ -- We are just happy to receive the benefit. Thank goodness. I have my hands full without going back and digging up all the paperwork required to receive additional out of pocket funds for the past. We are content to just tread water financially now and in the future. We feel blessed that my loved ones are being acknowledged and taken care of.