What to send with application

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marp, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

Having read a number of posts recently from people who say they sent in a 3 ring binder of information to the VA when they applied for Improved Pension, I thought I'd check on something.

We met with our County VA this week to begin the process of applying for the Improved Pension.

In addition to the VA forms, the representative said he only needs copies of

1) my parents' marriage certificate,
    2) my dad's DD214,and
    3) their Social Security statements.

He did not want copies of statements regarding my dad's retirement pay from civilian employment or copies of IRA and annuity statements showing balances and/or income from those. He said he didn't need copies of bank statements verifying those balances either.

Does that make sense?

I can understand them not requiring a copy of my dad's Military retirement statement or his VA service connected disability status; the VA probably already has access to all of that. But they don't have access (at least not easy access) to information on income and assets that aren't Military or VA.

We haven't sent the application in yet because he made some errors (put things in the wrong columns, etc) so we have time to assemble a complete package, although we had everything with us that he should need; he just wouldn't take it because he said he didn't need it.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Our recommendation is to include all the financial information. The VA is going to want to see all their sources, and it may eat up more time if they send a letter requesting it. If they don't want it, then no harm, no foul, but better to give them everything so there is no reason for delaying the processing.

Good luck!

3. pawprint1979

pawprint1979 Newbie

It will be more paperwork for the VA reps to review. BUT the verification of income sources is a very good idea. You are supposed to report the GROSS income received, not net. People tend to report the net on their applications, but because they send verification of the income the VA rep can catch that and properly award benefits.