We did it!

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by casagrayson, Apr 10, 2017.

1. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

I applied for A&A for both of my parents (both WWII vets) at the beginning of 2016. It seemed to be a comedy of errors -- lots of back and forth in the claims process. I finally asked for help from my Representative's office (who were wonderful) and both were approved in July 2016. On December 30, 2016, I turned in an application for my father-in-law. My mother-in-law died in December and he decided to move into assisted living. I took the lessons learned from the process with my parents and submitted everything that could possibly be needed. I created an index sheet for the package as well; every page was numbered and cross-referenced. The only thing I got wrong was his interest earned. I left it at zero since it was less than $1 for the month's bank statement I provided! I got a request for more information with the statement "interest earned appears to be too low for total assets". I sent back a letter informing them that the $40K was not invested as it was going to be needed for AL costs, and that money market accounts don't pay much interest these days. I included his bank statements for three months showing the $0.90, $1.38, and $1.21 interest earned!

Three days ago I checked the ebenefits site and saw that a decision had been made and a packet mailed. Today I checked the payments section of the ebenefits site and saw a deposit for the retroactive benefits!!

Start to finish: three months

SO thankful to everyone here for holding my hand the first time around and providing such a wealth of information for this time around.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

That is awesome news, casagrayson! I'm so happy for you and your family! Thank you for the kind words, we are more than happy to have helped you out.