Volunteer Opportunity Ideas?

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by mmshah, Nov 17, 2010.

1. mmshah

mmshah Newbie

I am happy to say that my father, a World War II Veteran, was recently approved for an A&A Pension. Couldn't have done it without this website! Now I'd like to volunteer to help Veterans who are trying to wade through the VA paperwork in my local community (Southeast Michigan) but don't have any idea where to start.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations!!

Very admirable that you want to help others. You may want to check with your local DAV and VFW's. Many of these have an older membership where insights and assistance could be appreciated.

3. romalynn

romalynn Newbie

My dad is in an assisted living home, who told us about the A&A, then I went out and did research, finding this website was a godsend. We got his award. My husband and a couple of friends do karaoke one afternoon every two months, as well as we visit Ed a lot. Ed and a few of my friends told people that we did his VA papers, and then they asked for help with backlogged claims and a new one. Also the Director there knows she can call on me as well.

If you are willing and people know you helped someone, I bet you will be hearing from some as well. Good luck and it is a privilege to me to help these veterans get help.

4. vetadmin

Thank you for paying it forward!

5. MSGRadar

MSGRadar Newbie

I started research in May from a question raised by a WWII veteran about his brother in California receiving VA Pension for Aid and Attendance and questioning why he wasn't receiving anything. As my research found this website, and continuing research I have taken it to the next level in our community of (Mid Michigan) and are now making it my way of ministry through our church and community to help all veterans and widows get the help they need at no cost to them. If they want to donate I ask them to give to Veteran Aid.org for if it wasn't for this website I won't be doing this mission for our veterans. I have prepared one WWII veterans basic pension (sent in) one WWII widows Aid & Attendance (sent in) and and currently working with 4 other veterans and 3 widows in getting their paperwork around and submitting to VA. Great Job Deb for this website!! I am a 31 year service retired veteran.

6. vetadmin

Thank you for such a generous offer, and for sharing with me how my efforts have impacted you.

I have self-funded this project for the past 5 1/2 years, so donations supporting us is so greatly appreciated.

I thank you for your service to our country and for all that you are doing to help others. I am of the belief that you have to be a blessing in order to be blessed. It takes so little to extend an act of kindess simply by sharing what you know when others are in need.

I hope you will be blessed for all that you have given and are doing!

7. MSGRadar

MSGRadar Newbie

Even though I don't belong to any Veterans Organizations, I am now being asked by a local VFW Post on a weekly basis for more information about different Veteran issues, ie Ramps for Disabled Veterans. Paying it forward, for those who served proudly and sacrificed so much for our freedoms.