VA Has Not Recognized Alzheimer's Diagnosis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edwina10, Feb 8, 2012.

1. edwina10

edwina10 Newbie

My dad is in a secure alzheimer's unit in a SNF since 1/2009. In 6/09 he was awarded the A&A benefit & the VA began sending his monthly check directly to him at the NH. However, the VA ignored the medical info that accompanied his original claim from the facility's medical director clearly referencing his dementia & mental incapability.

I have a durable power of attorney, & completed the EVR for 2009 on his behalf at which point he could still sign his name with an "X". By the end of 2010, his condition deteriorated so severely, he could not understand simple instructions on how to make his "X". So I held his hand and made the "X" on the 2010 EVR, wrote a letter to the VA stating that he can no longer sign, included a letter from the doctor describing his condition, & asked to be appointed fiduciary. Subsequently, on March 15, 2011, my dad received a letter from the VA indicating that his benefit would continue based on their review of the EVR - but no mention of his mental incapability nor the doctor's letter. Should I do the same again this year for the 2011 EVR signature - hold his hand and make the "X," send another doctor's letter & ask to be made fiduciary? Thank you very much for any insight.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Yes, and be sure to get it back in time.