Trying to figure out where tom start

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arnieson, Jan 28, 2008.

1. arnieson

arnieson Newbie

My father is an 80 year old Navy veteran. He served from 1944-1946 and then again from 1949 -1951. He has been diagnosed with mild dimentia. I am trying to have him placed in assisted living. since his only income is Social Security and he has no other assets, I am gladly going to subsidize the cost, I cannot however do this for too long. My question is how long does it take to know if you even qualify. I do not want to move him into a facility, have him get settled in only to have to move him again due to lck of resources. If I know ahead of time that we can get the benefit, I have no problem covering the aditional cost while we await funding.

thanks

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

The qualifications for this benefit are pretty straightforward. You may want check the home page of the website and look at the Beginners Pension Guide for additional clarification.

From the information that you provided, it sounds as though your dad would more than meet the requirements. Depending on your ability to fund the cost short term, the challenge maybe the wait on the VA to approve and release the funds.

Inital approval will depend on how complete your application package is, so please take care and double check that you have everything inlcuded. Do not send any originals, and keep a copy of the completed application as well as any other correspondence.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else and share the site with those you know that may also be able to benefit.

Thank your dad for his service. He is fortunate to have you.

3. arnieson

arnieson Newbie

Thanks for the response. I gather that he must be residing in the facility at the time I apply for him to qualify.

4. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

A veteran and/or widow does not have to be in 'assisted care facility' to qualify for A&A but they must be in need of some assistance and their income must be below the income level. Being in 'assisted care facility' usually will take care both of these items.

5. arnieson

arnieson Newbie

Thanks so much for the responses. We have an appointment with his PCP this Thursday which should result in a determination that he needs asistance. I am going to fill out the paperwork very carefully this weekend while at the same time getting him on the waiting list for an Assisted Living facility here in Newport News, VA. I am hopeful that the process will go smoothly