Thanks, and a question

Discussion in 'Fiduciary questions' started by CherylCh, Mar 30, 2017.

1. CherylCh

CherylCh Newbie

I was really surprised to receive my mother's approval letter for A&A benefits today. I submitted the application about three months ago. I credit the information on this website with helping me file an application that was easy to close favorably.

Because my mother has dementia, a fiduciary must be appointed. Fortunately, according to the approval letter, only the retroactive payment is being withheld pending fiduciary appointment. At least, that's how I understand it. I'll know for certain in a few days. My question is, will it be necessary to set up a separate bank account, other than the one my mother already has? The approval letter says benefits will be direct deposited into her existing account, so I think the answer is no. But I could use some experienced advice.
    Kaylin likes this.
  2. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Hi CherylCh,
    Congrats on your mother's approval for A&A benefits--fantastic!

Here's my experience with payments: My father also has dementia. After he was approved for A&A, he received his first monthly payment the first day of the month following the month of approval (I don't know if that will hold for you since we are at the very end of the month right now?). This was direct deposited by the VA in his existing bank account (the one I indicated on the application).....Since he needed a fiduciary (me), his retroactive money was withheld until I was appointed. I had my interview 4 months after we got the A&A approval letter. I can't recall how long it took after my interview to be formally appointed ( a few weeks?). I was instructed to set up a new bank account to receive not only the retroactive money, BUT also the monthly benefit payments going forward (that is, the monthly benefit stops being deposited in the old account, instead going to the new account). My VA fiduciary rep said only A&A money is to be deposited in the account.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted and again, congratulations!
  3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Congrats on the approval for your mother, CherylCh! Yes, you will need to set up a separate bank account. And as Jandy said, it will only be A&A money that is used for that account.