Success Story - Philadelphia VA

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by cottonblossom915, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Hello Everyone:

First I wanted to thank posters for sharing their valuable information for getting through the A&A proc,ess.

Secondly, I wanted to share my success story with you. After compiling all the extensive information needed for the packet, I submitted my 82 year old mother's paperwork to the Philadelphia, PA VA on June 7, sent via Fed Ex. Thankfully, my mother had all of the necessary documents filed away (marriage license, my father's discharge papers, etc.) which made that part of the process relatively easy. Compiling all of the financial information seemed to take the most time and also checking to be sure I had everything in order. I never did receive any confirmation that they received the package, but since it was sent via overnight mail, I knew that they did receive it. Yesterday, July 30, I called my senators office, who put me in touch with the local veterans, who then gave me a number at the VA to call. In literally under 5 minutes, I found that my mother's case had been closed and was pending authorization which would take 10-40 days. Great! I called the local veterans back and let the gentleman who I'd talked to know the good news. Later in the morning, I happened to go into my mother's online bank account and there was a deposit for $1056 from the VA!!!!! I was thrilled, as you can imagine. As it turns out, the paperwork was sent to her home about a week ago, but I hadn't gotten down there to pick up her mail.

I was truly surprised at the quick turnaround and approval for benefits - as I was expecting a long wait, but I believe the wealth of information that I found here on the forum truly helped me to compile a complete package and excellent letter to the VA.

Thanks to all who have posted their experiences. I hope that I can help someone as well.

Kate

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Kate,

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We are honored to have been a resource for you in getting this pension for your mom, and wish you all the best.