Speedy approval for Aid and Attendance benefits

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by ekford, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ekford

ekford Newbie

Thank you, Debbie, for this very informative website. Due to the information you have provided, the VA made a decision to approve my father's Aid and Attendance request in 15 days (yes----15 DAYS). I was anticipating six to nine months based on people's feedback and experiences.

In August 2011, my father fell and broke his ankle after becoming weak from not eating due to dental work. After surgery and three months of rehab in both rehab hospital and long-term care facilities, we decided that the best course of action would be for him to reside in an assisted living facility. He moved into a wonderful facility mid-November.

I collected all the information required prior to submission. I couldn't find his DD214 so I electronically requested a copy in September. I filled out/gathered all the documentation and had him sign where necessary. On Dec 19th, I mailed all of the following (as described on your website):
    A cover letter listing all of the following
    VA Form 21-4142
    VA Form 21-0845
    VA Form 21-22a
    VA Form 21-4138
    VA Form 21-526
    VA Form 21-2680
    VDVA Form 10
    Assisted Living Statement
    Countable Income Calculations
    I also included copies of my father's DD214, income statements (SS & retirement pay), bank account statements, the assisted living facility statement, and additional medical expenses.

On Dec 30th, he received a letter from the VA stating that they had received his application for benefits.

On Jan 8th, my father and I each received two letters both dated Jan 6th. One was their proposal to rate my father incompetent for VA purposes and that a fiduciary may need to be appointed. The other was a reward decision awarding him $1561 with a payment start date of Jan 1, 2012. This one also detailed what they decided, how they decided, the evidence used to decide on the claim, what income and expenses were/were not used.

I’m not sure what to attribute the swiftness of their approval to - whether it was because my father had retired from the military, his retired pay & SSA were electronically verified by VA, or the inclusion of all the documentation needed.

I hope this helps and encourages others. I saw another post of an approval in three weeks so let’s pray that we see faster approvals for all. Thank you again for your providing all the information!!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for making my evening with this great news!

I'm delighted that the site and forums helped you to send off a fully developed claim, as that is my mission to help others through this process.

I think someone very special must have been watching over your Dad's application for a "15" day approval. Wouldn't it be incredible if all applications were processed in the same amount of time and benefits awarded. it just goes to show that it can be done, and for those waiting months upon months there is no excuse.

Congratulations and glad to be a part of the journey!

3. ekford

ekford Newbie

An update to Speedy approval for Aid and Attendance benefits

We haven't heard anything in regards to their proposal to rate my father incompetent for VA purposes and appointing a fiduciary yet, but my father did receive the stated benefit amount on February 1st!

4. sweetandlow

sweetandlow Newbie

I am so happy that I found this forum!! I mean, happy, happy and more happy!! I've just about got my package together. My parents are new to this area so I have to get a VA Dr. to fill out the Dr's portion before I can send it away. I am sending everything that "ekford" mentioned. I did have to make my own "countable income" form as where it asks for income it says "military pay" and my Dad's income from the VA is considered Service Related Disability (100%).
    Can you tell me if that was the right thing to do? I could not find a premade "countable income" form.
    I hope they are expeditious in MN as Dad will be 90 next month in March and he is just now in assisted living which to my horror is sorely needed, if not more. I did not live close to them and they tended to sweep the "truth" under the rug to me and to their Dr's. I could not believe how I found them!! But, they are in a good place now and we absolutely need the A & A so they can stay there....no doubt....fingers crossed for a speedy and positive award!!!
    Thanks so much for being here......you will never know how overwhelmed I was by every Tom, Dick and Harry claiming they could help and they all had a major caveat. I appreciate this so much.

5. sweetandlow

sweetandlow Newbie

Oh, and should I send a cover letter with all my info? I can't find an example of one for aid and attendance here....maybe it's because my eyes are feeling crossed right now.......Thank you in advance.

6. vetadmin

STOP!!

If your Dad is rated at 100%, you don't have to do the entire application! I need to check on something since he is filing for him and your Mom, so don't send anything yet. I will get back to you as soon as I confirm something.

7. vetadmin

Does your Dad need assistance now due to his service-connected injuries? If the answer to this "yes", then you do not need to complete the entire application. If this is true, let me know, and I will tell you what you need to do.

8. sweetandlow

sweetandlow Newbie

I guess the answer to that would be that he needs assistance because of his service related injuries AND old age and his diabetes med management, etc.......mostly age, I guess and the things that come along with it. His disability is related to PTSD and bilateral hearing loss due to a percussion landing right at his ear and 10% of it is unemployability due to service related injuries. I hope that answers it.

9. vetadmin

Sorry to say, but you will need to do the complete application process. Keep in mind that he cannot draw both "compensation" and "pension", so make certain that the "pension" will pay more than what he currently gets for the 10%. I'm pretty sure that A&A is going to be the higher amount.

10. sweetandlow

sweetandlow Newbie

Well, he gets disability compensation as he is rated 90 percent disabled and 10 percent unemployable. Other than that, he gets small Soc. Sec. money, he and his wife. He'll be 90 on Saturday and we put them in an assisted living although now that he is closer to me, it has become apparent just how much help he needs. So, I can't say he gets pension and disability......just for being disabled. That money exactly covers his Medicare Supplement Plan for he and his wife and the cost of the assisted living without any of the assistance he really needs. Probably should have put him in a nursing home but we thought we'd try this. They will charge him for any services they have to provide him or his wife, on top of the cost of living there and it's not a high class place.......just kinda' average.
    So, when I filled out all the paperwork mentioned above, he was in a definite deficit and that was without any of the care he needs to be safe and healthy as possible.
    So, I understood he could get A & A along with his disability. Are you saying or feeling I am wrong and got bad info?? ??? :'( I have worked on my paperwork diligently and think I have a great package put together, just need one paper from the assisted living place and it's ready to mail.

11. vetadmin

I'm not real clear on how you have this, but the VA will make the ruling as to which will pay him more.

Be sure to mail to the proper Pension Center for his state, and to mail Return Receipt.

I am assuming that you have made this application for a veteran and spouse.

12. sweetandlow

sweetandlow Newbie

I just sent you a PM hoping I could make myself clearer..........I'm so sorry to take up your time....I thought I had it nailed!!!
    Thanx....

13. vetadmin

I just sent you a message.