SMC Typle L Question

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by Pam Alexander, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Pam Alexander

Pam Alexander Newbie

Please help me to understand if I can receive SMC L? This entitlement is very confusing! I was recently rated 100% scheduler in April 2016.

I've received conflicting information that I am entitled to SMC type L. My doctor competed and signed the VA form 21-2680 (Regular aid & Attendance) stating I require assistance daily showering and getting dressed & going up and down the stairs due to my carpal tunnel, back pain and arthritis & instability of both knees (not housebound).

I have heard of some people receiving SMC without being rated 100% P&T or rated 60% for 1a single disability and not an amputee.

Ratings
    50% sleep apena,
    50% PTSD,
    50% migraines
    30% IBS,
    0% left knee,
    20% right knee
    10% Tinnitus
    10% porasis
    10% TMJ
    10% carpal tunnel
    0% low back pain

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Pam,

I think you're applying either for DIC or another benefit because you do not need to know your ratings in order to apply for the Aid and Attendance pension benefit. It helps veterans and their spouses pay for the costs of care. This forum is specifically for questions and advice for the Aid and Attendance benefit.

3. Pam Alexander

Pam Alexander Newbie

HI, thanks so much for getting back to me. No I'm not eligible for DIC. It is special monthly compensation for regular aid and attendance.

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Hmm, interesting. Well for the Aid and Attendance benefit, you do not need to know your service rating. It is not a service-connected benefit.