sick-spouse confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rockola, May 11, 2016.

1. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Hi,
    Trying to finish filling out forms for my 94-yr-old Dad, the veteran, to apply for A&A as veteran with sick spouse and suddenly confused about "claimant" terminology/technicalities. (Asked related questions earlier and sorry to repeat but think I may've posted in wrong place on the forum...?)
    That is, I thought I understood from all I've read here that Dad is the claimant because he, not my 91-yr-old Mom, is the veteran, though she is the one for whom they pay home health aides (necessitated by limitations caused mainly by her Parkinson's Disease (with dementia) and osteoarthritis). But now that I'm reading Form 21-2680 for the 100th time, it seems nonsensical to designate him as the "claimant" because he obviously is not the one who is the subject of the exam, diagnosis, and ADL limitations. It follows that I need to list her info in Boxes 2, 3, and 4B, as all the rest of the form and, of course, the basis for his financial eligibility, is about her.
    Right?????
    Thanks and thanks yet again for this site!

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Because your father is the veteran, the application is tied to him. The Aid and Attendance benefit is always tied to the veteran, therefore he is the claimant. I can understand how that is confusing. You need to show the VA that her care (home care, medical, assisted living) is depleting both of their monthly incomes combined in order to apply for the veteran with a sick spouse. Yes, you would list her medical expenses because it is HER expenses depleting their income, but the application is still tied back to the veteran as the designated applicant.

I hope that helps?

3. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Thanks for answering but I'm not talking about listing her medical expenses. I'm talking about the 2680 that her doctor has to complete, which, obviously, is all about her need for regular a&a with activities of daily living.
    Unless what I printed off is an outdated form, Form 2680, Exam. for Housebound Status or Permanent Need for Regular A&A, Boxes 1 and 4A are for veteran's name and SSN. But Box 2 is for name "of claimant (if other than veteran," Box 3 is "relationship of claimant to veteran," and Boxes 8A through 34 refer to claimant's diagnosis, abilities, need for assistance with ADL, etc etc... And clearly, all of that is about the sick spouse only (if the veteran does not need and is not paying for home health care for himself but only for her).
    So, yes, the expenses for her care is what's depleting their income, but the medical evidence as shown on the 2680 is all about her, so shouldn't she be listed in Boxes 2 and 3 and her SSN in Box 4B?
    (I understand that when the veteran is deceased, none of this is in issue because then the claimant is a "surviving spouse" or other dependent(s) and the only one(s) who could possibly be the claimant, but that's not the situation when it's a veteran with "sick spouse.")
    Thanks again, Kaylin and anyone else out there with veteran-with-sick-spouse application experience.

4. Kaylin

5. Kaylin

Got it. For your questions on the 2680, you would still list the veteran's name and SSN for those boxes indicated on the form. And your assumptions are correct, the rest of the form is related to the surviving spouse's information since she is the one needing medical attention.

You're welcome!

6. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Sorry to be so dense, but when you say to list his name and SSN "for those boxes indicated on the form," are you saying to list only him as claimant and not to list her as a claimant "other than veteran" in Box 3?? I still don't see how doing that is not misrepresenting him on this form as the person for whom the med. expenses are being made. She's not the "surviving" spouse, she's the "sick" spouse who's the basis for his claim - is it necessary to actually spell this out in the cover letter?? Thanks again.

7. Kaylin

Not at all! I apologize for not being more clear before. List him as the claimant because he is the veteran. All of the application will be tied back to him no matter what, even if he is applying as a veteran with a sick spouse. You can definitely spell it out in the cover letter to clarify. There is actually an example of a cover letter that a user posted on our threads a while back and many have also used the same format of cover letter with success. Here is the link to the cover letter example: http://www.veteranaid.org/forums/in...lication-to-award-in-6-weeks.3046/#post-12517

8. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Thanks, Kaylin. I've seen/downloaded almost identical cover letter from a 2013 posting. But none of this answers the question of how a 2680 can describe all of the sick spouse's medical issues as if they were the veteran's own medical issues. Please look at Box 3 and answer the question whether it is only surviving spouses and not sick spouses who should ever be listed in that box. Thanks again.

9. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

10. Kaylin

Rockola,

In the 2680, for a veteran with a sick spouse, I would recommend you put the following:
    Question 1: The veteran's first, middle and last name
    Question 2: The sick spouse's first, middle, and last name
    Question 3: spouse of veteran

It doesn't matter if it is a sick spouse or surviving spouse, you would still designate it as "spouse" in that box.
    I hope that answers your question.

11. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Thanks! So you're agreeing that the sick spouse does = "claimant... other than veteran," which does answer my question.

12. Kaylin

You're welcome Rockola! Also, have you been getting email notifications after following the thread? Because I seem to be getting them now.