Request for Outpatient Treatment or Drugs & Medicines letter from VA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InTheWoods, Jun 28, 2014.

1. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Newbie

We received the above letter today from the VA Medical Center, which offers the benefit of being treated by a doctor outside the VA system, but receiving prescriptions from a VA pharmacy. My father-in-law has been doing this for years due to his 10% disability compensation. Does he have to request this again since the 10% disability compensation is being discontinued in lieu of the A&A award? I don't want him to lose this benefit, but I also don't want to have a duplicate enrollment. The medical center may not realize it's a duplicate since we used our mailing address for his A&A claim. I would imagine they would have checked his Social Security Number though. This must be a pretty common occurrence.
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, but have to say, we don't know the answer to this question as it goes to the Medical side of the VA.

I suggest making some calls to the VA to try and get clarity on this issue.
  3. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Newbie

I'm updating this in the event it will help someone else. We did not respond to the letter and his VA medical stayed intact.
  4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the update, and glad it turned out well for you.
  5. BrendaK

BrendaK Newbie

My father received the same letter but I'm not sure we got all of it. The only address listed is Department of Veterans Affairs, One Veteran's Drive, Minneapolis, MN. I sent the signed letter to that address several times but did not receive a reply. He lives in Oklahoma City in assisted living. I've tried calling the Oklahoma City facility, the Minneapolis facility, the director or Pharmacy Benefits, and many others but nobody has ever heard of this letter/form. Does anyone have a copy of the letter that perhaps has a contact number or the address of the facility so I have an example to explain to the VA? The one my father received only had one page. Thank you!
  6. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Newbie

The lower left hand corner of the letter we received indicates it is form "FL 10-483." It was a one page letter and the return address was the local VA Medical Center, 4150 Clement St, San Francisco. No phone number was provided. Try contacting the VA medical center that serves your father.
  7. BrendaK

BrendaK Newbie

Thank you for the info. I tried calling our local VA and they had no idea what I was talking about. Did the return address have a specific office at the VA medical center or an "Attention To" section?
  8. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Newbie

No, it just had the address for the VA Medical Center in San Francisco, set forth above.
  9. vbcoder

vbcoder Jr. Member

I received the same letter in March 2009 and after returning several copies to the address listed in upper left corner
    with no response, I called the VA Hospital in Salisbury, NC. I told them about my letter and gave them all of the
    information and they set up an appointment to see a Doc at a VA clinic. I started getting my meds from VA Hospital.
    I don't know if this will help you, but good luck.

After checking my records, I found that I filled out Form 10-10EZ to get my Meds.
  10. Sperry8

Sperry8 Newbie

My Father received this letter too. It is very vague and difficult to understand exactly what benefit he would receive. The local VA had no idea what it means and I've been trying to call the Pension center but phone lines are swamped and they say to call back.

Best I can ascertain is that the letter is auto-generated after a Vet receives A&A. My father is already in the priority group where he doesn't pay for his meds and is signed up with a local VA for medical care. Perhaps this extends his benefits slightly and should he see a non-VA doctor they will be able to "fill" that prescription at no cost to him.

An earlier post on VeteranAid stated a visit was required - although I doubt this. My father cannot travel easily and I'd doubt they make this a requirement since he's already been approved for A&A.

Has anyone successfully applied for this benefit? Does anyone have a good understanding of what this letter means/offers?