Quick Question (hopefully!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by squarah, Feb 24, 2014.

1. squarah

squarah Newbie

My mother receives her benefit via direct deposit on the 31st of each month. Does that check cover the month before or the month after? For example, the money that was deposited on 12/31/13, is that for January 2014 or December 2013? The reason for my question, my mother passed away on 12/29/13 and I am wondering if/when the VA will come and take back the benefit that was paid after her death. I am the fiduciary and informed the VA of her death via phone within 2 days of her passing and, per their instructions, mailed a copy of her death certificate to them a week later. They still deposited her benefit on 1/31/14. I am assuming that one will be taken back. Just curious if the one from December is still hers or if it will go back as well. If it is hers, I will pay it out to the nursing home but don't want to do anything with it until I'm certain the VA won't want it back. Also, could I use it towards her funeral expenses or do I have to use it for the NH?

Thanks!!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Our condolences on the loss of your Mom.

The December check is hers to keep. The VA will take the January one back eventually.

The VA is always 30 days out on payments, and they do not pro-rate a month.

If there are accrued benefits she had not received yet due to waiting on the application process and needing to go through the Fiduciary process, you can file against those funds to help offset the cost of final arrangements. More information on this can be found on our site in the FAQ section.

Again our sympathies to you and your family during this difficult time.