Question

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by raytamtay3, Nov 6, 2015.

1. raytamtay3

raytamtay3 Newbie

Mom has about $5,000 combined in her checking and savings accounts. Is this amount factored in when making a determination if she meets the maximum annual pension rate ($13,794)?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

raytamtay3,

The VA will look at her bank account totals and factor this into determining the award amount she will be given for the Aid and Attendance benefit. $5000 is not much and if your mother is paying for quite a bit in care each month then the VA will see that she will obviously run out of this $5000 soon in addition to any other assets she may have.

3. raytamtay3

raytamtay3 Newbie

Kaylin, thank you for your replies and advice.

Another question. Should I send them the medical bills that my dad accumulated after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer prior to his death? Would that be something they would consider?

4. Kaylin

raytamtay3,

You are welcome! The VA looks for costs of care when considering the Aid and Attendance benefit to be awarded. Unfortunately I do not think the medical bills will fall into "costs of care" for your mother since they are your father's bills. You can certainly send them, but I do not think it would be taken into consideration for this benefit.

5. raytamtay3

raytamtay3 Newbie

Is it best to send everything via certified mail, or ebenefits?

6. Kaylin

raytamtay3,

Definitely recommend certified mail! Make sure to mail return receipt. The eBenefits website has had many reports of problems/glitches.