Proof of rental income

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by Kaiya, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

Proof of rental income

My father, a WWII vet, is in an Assisted Living Facility. He receives Social Security and rent from a home he owns. I understand from your forums that he must report the rental income at gross, before expenses such as property taxes, homeowners insurance, and utilities. My question is, how should he prove rental income? There are no invoices or receipts; the tenant mails the rent checks to my brother, deposits them to their joint account. The funds belong 100% to our father, and my brother manages the finances for him.

Would the most recent bank statement showing the rent being deposited be sufficient evidence of the rental income?

Proof of Assisted Living Facility expense

My father will include a form 21-0779 and a Statement of Occupancy from the Assisted Living Facility in his application. Both documents state the monthly cost of care. The bank statement shows the payment being made. Are these documents sufficient evidence of the ALF expense?

The cost of the ALF, along with Medicare, health insurance premiums, and recurring prescription costs, far exceed his Social Security and rental income and his cash savings will be depleted by March 2017.

Many thanks for your help. I learned so much from the forums and am targeting the end of this month to file his application.

Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Would the most recent bank statement showing the rent being deposited be sufficient evidence of the rental income?
    Yes, the bank statements sound like your best bet. You can always include the 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim form with any additional explanations you may need to include to clarify.

Proof of Assisted Living Facility expense

My father will include a form 21-0779 and a Statement of Occupancy from the Assisted Living Facility in his application. Both documents state the monthly cost of care. The bank statement shows the payment being made. Are these documents sufficient evidence of the ALF expense?
    Yes

The cost of the ALF, along with Medicare, health insurance premiums, and recurring prescription costs, far exceed his Social Security and rental income and his cash savings will be depleted by March 2017.
    Sounds like he's the perfect candidate for the A&A benefit then!

Many thanks for your help. I learned so much from the forums and am targeting the end of this month to file his application.
    You are most welcome! Thank you for the kind words.

3. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

Thank you Kaylin! Again, thank you for this wonderful forum which gave me so much useful information and support. I don't feel alone and overwhelmed with the multi-pronged process of applying for pension benefits for my father. I will let you know the result from the VA.

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You are so welcome, Kaiya! Thank you for the kind words. I wish you best of luck, please keep me updated.

5. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Hi Kaiya, you may have already mailed in your application, but if you haven't, I have an idea for you. Write a statement for your father to sign that he owns the home and rents it for $XXX per month to "Name of Person" and that the renter mails your father a check each month which is deposited in "Name of Bank." That plus the annotations on his checking account statement should be enough proof, I think.

Kaylin likes this.