Please help daughter of vet

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by imatoone, Mar 10, 2014.

1. imatoone

imatoone Newbie

Hi everyone. I am brand new here. My father will be 86 very soon and served in WWII. He has never applied for a pension or any benefits. Unfortunately, his health is very poor and he is housebound, requiring my mother's assistance for everything. She herself is not in great health. I want to apply for the Aid & Attendance Pension, but am confused as to whether I should be applying first for the VA Pension, or?? They have no idea about any of this and nor do I. They need my help and I am able to give it, but I ask your guidance here. I thank you for any information you can provide and for this great website!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Your Dad or Mom would need to be paying someone to have care expenses to demonstrate a financial need for the this pension. Spouses cannot be compensated as a caregiver as it is reasonable for spouses to take care of one another without expectation of payment.

If no one is currently being paid to act as the caregiver, this may not be the time to make application until they are paying for care.

3. Kappy

Kappy Newbie

So, if a vet is being driven by taxis everywhere as he is unable to go another way, is that considered care expenses? People helping with grocery shopping, shoveling, mowing? My dad is 92 and a vet and mom is 83, in lousy health and taking care of both of them. They need help and will run out of money soon. They also are not getting enough help cause afraid to run out of money. I am new at this and not sure where to start.
    Thanks

4. vetadmin

No, the expense of taxis would not by itself be a "medical" expense, and neither is mowing, or shoveling.

This pension is for paying for care with daily living for dressing, bathing, medication dosing etc. If Dad is acting as the caregiver for Mom, that would infer he is capable of taking care of himself as well.

They would have to be paying someone to come in and care for them personally not yard maintenance etc.

5. Kappy

Kappy Newbie

Thanks for responding. No, mom is taking care of dad, not well as she is not well either. Mom is helping him with daily living, but she is not really able. Must I convince her to start to get help, and then start the process of attempting to get them monetary help? They fit all the requirements as far as wartime service and money. I KNOW that they need help.
    Again, thank you

6. vetadmin

Kappy,

They have to be paying someone to have an expense to claim in order to demonstrate a financial need for the pension to pay for that care. So yes, you would want to wait until they actually have someone coming in.

7. Kappy

Kappy Newbie

I am beginning to get a hold on this process, thank you for all of your quick and informative responses. What I am now trying to understand is, if they move out of their home, and into an apartment, and receive assistance with daily living, will the sale of the house have an impact on the benefits received? I assume that it will, and that the house is only NOT considered an asset if they are living in it, correct?
    Before I apply, I need to get all my facts in order.

Here is situation. Parents live in house, mom is doing the caregiving. They heed help, not getting it, trying to be independant and hold onto whatever money they have for the real emergencies. I am attempting to move them out of house and into senior apartment within the next few months, which on their presentincome, will be tough to pay for. Sale of house will make a difference, of course. Will try to sell, after they move out and into apt.
    So, question is, should I begin process of attempting to obtain benefits now? Would hate to do all the work, convince them that they should be getting daily help, so to receive benefits, and then not get benefits because of sale of house!
    If it were not happening so quickly, I would not hesitate to apply, but I see the house sale and move as a real possibility.
    Thank you!

8. vetadmin

Yes, the sale of the house would work against them. They would have to disclose the proceeds from the sale, and depending on that amount would potentially put them over the income limit.

You would not want to make application for them now as they are not paying anyone for care. Expenses would have to be incurred at the time of application.

9. Kappy

Kappy Newbie

Thank you

10. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

I too am the daughter of a vet. I am so confused by this all ready and am just starting out. My mom is 87 and has Alzheimer's along with a lot of medical problems. Mom was in the army,released when she started having seizures. Has been drawing disability has never gone to a va clinic. I have applied for aid and assistance, they wanted me to bring her in. It is a two hour drive, no way can she make this trip. They have said they would have a doctor call me?????? Is this typical???? ???

11. vetadmin

If Mom is in the VA medical system and receiving "compensation" from the VA, yes, they can make this request.

She cannot draw both compensation and pension, so you need to explore which would be the higher amount for her.

12. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

This all so confusing to me. The doctor called we talked for 15 mins and she said to wait for a letter from the VA. The stress of dealing with Alzheimer's is taking it's toll.

13. vetadmin

I'm sorry. If you don't hear something soon, you need to follow up with them.