Philadephia Center -- how long is it taking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jscott, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Thanks to Debbie's help and this forum, I submitted my MIL's A&A claim in Dec. to the Philadelphia office. I received my return receipt and a letter of receipt in Dec., and in a "we are processing your application" letter in early Feb.

Can forum members who've applied through the Philadelphia office tell me approximately how long it took you to get your decision? I'm wondering what the average wait time is for the Philadelphia office.

2. 215thAAA

215thAAA Newbie

Submitted a Fully Developed Claim for veteran to Philadelphia office. It took 6 weeks to receive award letter.
    Don't know if surviving spouse claims take longer or not.

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Congrats to 215thAA, and hope to be wishing the same to jscott very soon.

4. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

I've been working on a claim out of Philadelphia since Dec. 2013. Now have my Congressman's office working on it, too. Good luck.

5. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

That's bad news for both of us. Thanks for letting me know. Please keep me (and the board updated on your application) and I will do the same

6. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

Congratulations 215th!!! Maybe there's hope.

7. Breedoni

Breedoni Newbie

I sent a claim to Philly Sept. 24, 2014 and additional info they requested Jan 9, 2015 and still have not received an award for my 93 yo Mother. So my Representative is working on it. 8+ months!

8. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Thanks for the info, Breedoni. Just curious -- When you say your Representative is working on it, what do you mean? Your Congressman or a VA Rep?

9. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

My mother starting getting a direct deposit to her account in May, but I never received a Notification letter or info. on the retroactive payment. Finally called today and they were confused. How was I getting money without a letter? The last letter the person could see was June 2014. They will send a letter and the Notice regarding a Fiduciary.....hey, at least she got her money. It never ends.

10. vetadmin

The important thing is that she is receiving the money, and hopefully you will get things straight here soon on the Fiduciary.

11. Breedoni

Breedoni Newbie

My U.S. Representative. His office submitted a request 2 weeks ago. No word yet.

12. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

PhoenixFarm -- congratulations! There's hope for us! Debbie's right -- you're getting the money now, so a letter has to follow.

Breedoni -- thank you for letting us know. Please keep us updated on your progress. I'm really interested now in how long it will take to get the VA response after your Congressman's inquiry.

VetAdmin (Debbie) -- do you think it's too soon for me to get my Congressman involved? (I submitted in Dec.). I realize there's been big-time problems at the Philly office, so maybe I shouldn't yet? What do you think?

13. vetadmin

jscott,

Since you are only at the 6 month marker, it really would be too soon to ask for the Senator to make an inquiry at this point.

14. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Thanks, Debbie -- that's what I was thinking too (my husband -- since it's his mother) wanted to go ahead, but I'll wait. What would be the right timeframe to ask, do you think?

15. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

J scott,

You would think a letter had to follow. I had to call and ask for it. They could not believe I was getting money and had not received a Notification letter. That was July 9. I'm waiting. I'll let you know when it arrives.

16. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

(Drum roll, please!)
    I'm happy to announce that we just received our A&A award letter, dated 29 June. So that took (only) about 6 months. Success!!! Thank you to Debbie and the forum for your help.

I will be posting some follow up questions and also some advice on the Tips section.

17. vetadmin

So happy to see this post and CONGRATULATIONS!!

You are very, very welcome, and glad to have helped.

Debbie

18. Breedoni

Breedoni Newbie

Checking my Mother's bank balance this morning for her usual 1st of the month deposits and noticed a nice amount from the VA. Retro to last October. But have not received the paperwork notifying her of the A&A award. All total exactly 10 months.
    I had a very, very tenacious congressman and his staff that stayed on them for 2 months.
    They have magic phone numbers!
    So, thanks to Debbie and all the valuable information she has provided here. And all others who have posted their experiences both good and not so.

19. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

The letter arrived the week of July 20 sometime while I was on vacation. Also, received a message on my voicemail while away to schedule a Fiduciary meeting. That is because I sent the form in for that before the letter arrived, knowing the next step from this website.

Also, it is going quickly now because it is a Congressional Inquiry, so my Congressman gets a copy of the letter.

20. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Congrats PhoenixFarm and Breedovi! Maybe the Philly office has broken through its backlog.