New problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by annie49, Jan 28, 2016.

  1. annie49

    annie49 Newbie

    New Problem! In anticipation for admission to an ALF, for my 93yr old father, who served in WWll, I have just mailed the Intent to File form as well as the Third Party Form. We are also preparing the remainder of the A and A packet and getting ready to help him get a Bridge Loan. Now we find out that the ALF rate has gone up $200 a month. With the full A and A, his SS and a very small pension that would put him $75 a month short. He has no assets, except for an outstanding loan his grandson owes him and some cash in a safe deposit box. Is it true that no one can help him with this shortfall. So discouraged.
  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member


    If your father gets the Aid and Attendance benefit as a single veteran, his award amount will be $1,788. I just wanted to make sure you knew that.

    I am sorry to hear of your shortfall in money due to your father's cost of care. Perhaps you could look at other assisted living homes in the area that would be cheaper in order to be able to afford them?

    If you need help with finding a better assisted living home that would best suite your father's situation, I highly recommend calling the number in my signature below. It is (866) 900-4969. You can get free expert help from an assisted living referral source to help you. Completely free to you and your father. They may be able to help you navigate this process.

  3. annie49

    annie49 Newbie

    Thank you Kaylin, for your support.
    However, this is the least expensive one in our area, and yes thank you, i was aware of the 1,788.
    Is it true, that now one can help him with the shortfall?
  4. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member


    You're welcome. If your father is rated at 100% service connected disability as well, then he could apply for the compensation benefit as well. But only if he is rated 100% by the VA. This additional income could amount to $750-$850 per month. That is the only other option I can think of relating to the benefits to help pay for care and the ones of my knowledge. I am sorry.

Share This Page